Wyoming NR Application Booklet now ready

The Wyoming experts here will be able to tell us if that means we will get to see the tag quotas for 2015 before we apply.
I'm thinking the answer is yes.

I see all the tag quotas before the close of any draw or change period.

Yep, all the final tag quotas have always been posted well before the modify/withdrawal date is up! If you look in the new booklet for all the dates, it's right in there.

I've been getting some emails and PMs about applying in Wyoming. Figured I may as well provide the information here, rather than type a bunch of separate replies. Here are couple key items I use when I am doing my apps for Wyoming.

First, they have a great Hunt Planner. It has harvest reports for every species, going back many years. To me, harvest trends are very helpful. Link is here ----> http://gf.state.wy.us/web2011/HUNTING-1000184.aspx

The next thing I always look at are the drawing odds and the trends. If you don't subscribe to a service that reports these drawing odds, WY has them in great detail at this link ----> http://gf.state.wy.us/web2011/HUNTING-1000157.aspx

The other thing I look at is the percentage of private land in each unit. One can assume the difference is public land, but even if that assumption is correct, not all of the public land is accessible. Below is a report they previously published in the application booklet, but quit doing so. Since this is from 2005 (?), understand that the elk units had some boundary relocations in 2014, so it is not completely reliable for the few elk units that were realigned.
img245.jpg

You can get a pretty good feel for the units with lots of accessible public lands, just by looking at the draw odds. As a general rule, the more difficult the draw odds, the more public land that is accessible.

That should answer the emails I have received and hope it might give others some starters when looking at WY for the first time.

Randy---The Wyoming G&F has made a number of unit/boundary changes since they discontinued that link you posted and it involves not only elk, but also the antelope units down in the se part of the state. Besides some deer units being dropped a few years ago and realignments made accordingly, this year they have split deer Region F in half and now also have a new Region X. Guys will need to look closely to see what was done so they know exactly what they are applying for this year.

Last edited:
I wonder if the later application date will mean an increase in the number of applications and a decrease in odds of drawing.

I love this change! This clearly seperates the WY application deadline from several draw result post dates.......Arizona, Utah, New Mexico, Nevada. Meaning I can wait for all these results before deciding to burn WY points. I'm only at max for deer now, but if I flop in all the early results it opens the possiblity to burn my points for Region G deer if I really want a hunt somewhere, or a realistic chance for maybe unit 90. Otherwise I'd have just put in for points only.

For other guys in my position, I expect it will indeed bring some point savers out of the closet and lower draw odds a little.

I just wish that they would put all season dates instead of just tentative opening dates. They give one date for cow elk hunts that usually run late into the winter.

I just wish that they would put all season dates instead of just tentative opening dates. They give one date for cow elk hunts that usually run late into the winter.

Just look in the Final Regulations for last year on the website. There aren't that many changes made from year to year. Even if you see something has changed when they post the Final Regulations for this year there will be plenty of time to modify/withdraw your application before that date hits in early June this year. I don't even plan to apply this year until the middle of May with the new dates they went to that match the resident dates.

Back