MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Ar-15 ??

buckykm1

I am thinking about getting a AR.
I was just looking at the Ruger AR556.
reading about it, it sounds like it should be a decent Rifle ?. for the money ?.
any thoughts ? good , bad or ugly.

Thanks
Kevin

Asking a question about which AR should I buy is comparably to discussing which tire is best for your truck.

Years ago before ARs became extremely popular it was a good idea to build your own from parts to better control the unknowns. While it is still enjoyable to build your own it is not as much necessary as it is more so simply fun to do so.

We now live in a day and age where quality and accuracy from well known AR manufactures has become a draw (more or less). Buy what you can afford and support those that you admire. With that said, I am a fan of RRA and having owned more than one Coyote (rifle and carbine), all have functioned flawlessly and were subMOA.

I really like my Rock River Arms predator pursuit. It is the most accurate rifle I have ever owned (1/2 MOA if there is such a thing) and very well made. Love the trigger on it.

If I ever bought an AR it would be a Rock River. Unless I had lawnboys money then I'd get a christensen arms ��

Last edited:
The ruger is a fine rifle and you'd be very happy with it. One should point out that is operates off the piston as opposed to the traditional impingement system, a whole other debate. I've ran a number of rounds through this platform and they've always worked great.

Actually, I have thought about building a AR, and as far as mechanical skills go, that would not be a problem.
But, I don't have the knowledge of the AR platform to know what parts I would need to buy ?.
that is why I was just thinking about buying one.
But if some has suggestions on parts needed ? or if there is one in a complete kit, I could do that.

Thanks
Kevin

you can buy a complete rifle for less money than a kit, IMO.

A friend just jumped into the AR waters with an entry level rifle. He got a Mossberg MMR Hunter. 20" barrel, full float hand guard, and it shoots. Trigger is not crispy. But for sub $600, seems very solid.

I'd rather build one. Super easy and you get to pick and choose your parts. Yes you can buy an entry level AR for cheap, and the Ruger's by most accounts are solid AR's piston AR's and they are coming out with a more budget oriented model as well.

But there's a lot of fun to be had purchasing parts and slapping them together & there are tons of youtube videos showing you how to do this.

Build one yourself, so you know it inside/out, up/down. JMHO

That's solid advice.

You'll likely end up paying more but, get a better quality product in the end.

The heart of your AR is the barrel and trigger, those are the expensive parts and where most mfgs cut corners to keep the price down on kits and package guns.

Uppers, lowers, parts kits for those and BCGs for the most part (not cheap foreign parts), are about the same.......often coming from the same sources.

Spend your money on a quality barrel, trigger and glass. You know......."buy once, cry once."

well, crap.

after reading through this post I started poking around on gunbroker.com late at night.

didn't think I'd win with such a low-ball bid.

need to go get a better Christmas gift for my wife.

beware of sleep deprived web surfing on gunbroker.

I second all the others. I have a Rock River Arms Elite Operator 2. Its by far the most accurate AR I have ever shot ( and I've shot a lot) it holds 1/2MOA out to where it goes subsonic ( approx 870yds) I have it set up for shooting long range which in the case of a .223 is 0-900 yds. Past that the bigger calibers are needed to continue the fun.

Since this would be your first AR and if you were my BFF or brother I would say buy a RRA and then if you like the AR platform and after earning how it operates, build one.

Agreed, on Rock River.

If you're going to buy a package gun, RRA is a good choice.

I know it's also a matter of personal preference but, IMO - Rock Rivers 2 stage NM trigger is probably the best factory trigger going.

I am still in the process of building one. The thing I like about building my own, is each part is researched and since its a slow process, costs are spread out. I have roughly $800 into it and have another $500 to go...hoping it will be ready this spring for the gophers.

Building the AR has also been a lot of fun. And when its all done I will know the thing inside and out.

well, crap.

after reading through this post I started poking around on gunbroker.com late at night.

didn't think I'd win with such a low-ball bid.

need to go get a better Christmas gift for my wife.

beware of sleep deprived web surfing on gunbroker.

Pics or it isn't real. :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HUNT7503
Back