Moose Loose in Las Vegas

idnative1948

Moosie gave permission to post this up. Just guessing, he and his wife are proud parents. Please wish O luck!

This is Oscar's "Columbia High School Mechanical Drafting" path. He started in 2013 by winning State and going to Nationals. In 2014 he won State again and got Bronze at the Nationals competition. November 2014 he was chosen in the top 8 of both secondary and Post-secondary contestants as candidates to represent the United States at the Skills World event in Brazil.
After Applications and phone interviews Oscar has been chosen as one of the top 2 contestants to travel to Las Vegas for a head to head Drafting Competition. The winner being the USA Representative at Skills Worlds.
This is the first time the United States has sent a student to Worlds for Technical Drafting. Oscar is the top 2 in the USA currently competing for spot one.
Oscar leaves for Las Vegas December 1st – 4th 2014 to attend the Autodesk University for training and the competition. Wish him luck !!

Fella's, Thanks for the kind words and well wishes. Was quiet the week for sure. Not sure how many of you know what AutoDesk is ? It's a company like Microsoft that has many programs underneath that title. "Inventor is one of them. It's a Mechanical Design Software that lets you model stuff in a 3d Environment. once a year there is an Autodesk University that 8-10 thousand people come to to get educated on the latest software. Oscar was Sponsored by the Software developers to bring him in to compete.

Coming out to Vegas we had one goal in mind. WIN. Right ? Cuz that's what Oscar does. As you read above he has placed consistently well in the State and Nation over the last 2 years. But what does winning mean ? I thought it meant going to Brazil for the Wold Champions in 2015. He is ranked 2 in the country and went head to head with the other guy. This week I learned once again that I didn't know everything. This competition came down to Oscar competing against a college guy for the #1 spot to represent the USA in Work skills competition. After meetings and interviews and classes there was a head to head competition. Today we found out the results..... Tie ! What the heck ?

So, the group talked about it and came up with a decision. Oscar will NOT be representing the US. Jake, a phenomenal individual will be and Oscar is happy. Why would Oscar be happy about this "loss" ?

Let me explain. Worlds Skills is every 2 years. You can only compete once and you can't be 23 in the year of the competition. With Oscar's age (17) he will be sponsored now alongside Jake by AutoDesk to mentor him and shape him for the 2017 world championships he has a guaranteed spot. Oscar will STILL get flown down to Brazil to learn the process, experience the competition and sent the exact same industry training help as Jake will.

If Oscar went to Brazil next year he would be done. He now has up to 5 years of Free training and unlimited support from the program. We'll have to fund plenty enough and figuring that out in the next little while.

Oscar is so young as a matter of fact that he would still be eligible in 2019. With him going on a mission he might do that route. How much better would he be in 3 years? 5 years ? Stay tuned.....

OTown can still compete next spring on a state level and go to nationals. "If" he wins, he will be the first to ever make it 3 years as a high school person. This photo album has many more years to add too.

Congrats Jake and Oscar and many thanks to AutoDesk and Skills USA. A true Win/Win.

I know Big FIN has been a great supporter for Oscar over the years as well as many others on Hunttalk.com. My life is so dang busy right now I can't make it on here as much as I like but I still love you guys.

We'll catch up soon but I wanted to share the GREAT news. Thanks IDNative for sharing this with everyone !!

Just wait to see what he's like after serving a mission. I went from a jock 2.7 GPA in High School to a 3.8 in college. It's a great experience. He'll be like a 5.0:D

Congratulations O!. I don't know you guys, but I'd be willing to bet that he got his smarts from his mom and his competitive drive from his dad. No doubt Big "O" has a great future ahead, and I love the attitude of seeing the bigger picture after the results in Vegas.

My son has accumulated a couple of those "participation" trophies!:confused:

I'll never claim to be "smart", but I know people and how to get into places I need to be to move forward. I was able to position him right in places to help get him where he needed to be to make things happen. He has his own drive, smarts, and motivation and has a good head start. Interesting future in store. I'm excited to apply for a passport for him knowing in the next few years he will get to use it.....

As long as that doesn't interfere with hunting .........

Moose that is awesome ! They say, Let the Lord lead and you'll be where you need to be. Congratulations to O
Like to see a video of him in action.

Thanks Fella's. Just last night we had a sit down with a guy that has a product he just got a patent for. O-Town was approached to do the 3D modeling for it and depending how it goes...... He's been approached by 3 other places as well. 2 for full time jobs (Making more then I make *sigh*) and one for another patent item.... I know when I was in school I was just a bugger eater, and not much has changed.

The paper just came in to do an article on him and he's going to a photo shoot thing to go with the Story. I'm sure the Picture won't be as good as Greenhorns #Selfie post, but it will be more opportunity and exposure for him. good things in the works.

He's been approached by 3 other places as well. 2 for full time jobs (Making more then I make *sigh*)

At least you know you will be taken care of when your old and wrinkled! Kudos to your kid man!!

Congrats Lil' O, and to your mom for the smarts to pass on to him :hump: Moosie I think I just saw some buttons on your shirt fly pass way over here. Congrats all the way around.

Hunterman(Tony)

Absolutely Awesome! What an accomplishment by a fine young man. I can imagine how proud you are of him and rightfully so...

Congratulations and keep up the hard work!

Oscar had a pretty good article about him in the Paper this week. He's not always in the paper, but when he is, he's on the cover......

http://www.idahopress.com/members/drafting-student-headed-to-world-competition/article_84b7c20c-8732-11e4-a0d9-cb0324fd244e.html

1476011_10204402713459907_1610893472585551155_n.jpg

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dalton14rocks
Back