pronghorn doe

DAVIDKERR

is it worthwhile to get doe only tags in the unlimited areas of wy? web site says public access is limited? my party are all non-res hunters. thanks

Look at the G&F web site for Walk In Area Maps. Most of Wyoming units has some public land. Maybe small parcels. We have always found areas to hunt.BLM maps are good resource also.my son and 4 of his friends bought a leftover tag in an area that is primarily private land ,they found a 1 mile square of BLM land to hunt on. They all filled there tags on the first day by 10 AM

Just look at the odds and apply for an area that gives you high odds or 100% odds. Sometimes there's units where a buck tag might only be a 60-70% draw but the doe tags are 100% , and that is a slam dunk for more meat and a great trip.

Get a landowner list and start calling. If you are only after a doe the landowner will likely not charge. You will likely not have issues getting access. Do get the landownership chip from onxmaps - it is worth every penny.

If we draw our buck tags, we'll be looking for leftover doe tags in another unit to extend our hunt a little bit. I'll definitely pick up a leftover whitetail doe tag. I like to squeeze as much hunting in as I can after dedicating that much time and $$ to making a trip happen.

Not sure what you mean by "unlimited" areas though?

I'm sure he just meant the areas that never sell out. They are limited....but seemingly not!

I'd say, Yes, go for the tags. But before picking an area, I'd find a place to hunt. That might be a landowner who will allow access or a small parcel of public land. In addition to the other resources mentioned, I'd call the Dept of Game & Fish in the area of interest. They've always been extremely helpful to me.

Yes havershap, secure landowner permission first. Or public land in a predominately private land area. And don't forget, if you plan on hunting public land in such an area, prepare for lots of company. Isolated public parcels usually get pounded hard...that's been my experience.

Yes havershap, secure landowner permission first. Or public land in a predominately private land area. And don't forget, if you plan on hunting public land in such an area, prepare for lots of company. Isolated public parcels usually get pounded hard...that's been my experience.

Correct. One thing that helps, is to plan a hunt mid-week later on in the season. You may have lots of area to yourself. Most people think they have to get out early and are usually done early.

Great meat for the freezer and a fun hunt to boot.

Right you are sbhooper, most guys are done hunting after the first couple of weekends. However, the antelope on the public land when pressured, move to the private where they tend to stay. Where I hunt anyway.

last year we went to a "limited access" area with tags we got in the leftover draw. me and 1 buddy had 7 tags between us 3bucks and 4 does and hunted 2 days before we left with full coolers, absolute blast but take lots of ammo incase it gets windy....lol

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Higbee
Back