MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Trip Ideas

zimmy

Well 3 of us where planning on a Elk hunt this fall. One buddy has had to back out we are looking into a waterfowl hunt and Elk next year. I have been to North Dakota a few times but thinking of trying a late season hunt. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas of a January waterfowl hunt that could be done on our own. I was thinking something like Kansas or Nebraska but really open to any ideas. We are from PA so probably not much further west than Kansas. Thanks for any ideas.

Zimmy

Try Eagle Lakes in Washington state. I have friends who have been there the last three years, I would but they go the third week in November . Deer and elk hunting in Montana ! They rave about the operation and the hunting!

You can probably get to some of the Canadian prairie provinces in not much more drive time than KS...lots of opportunity up there.

I saw a cool goose hunting episode on youtube from a group called the "fowl reality"

they went to new york and hunted their early season canadas. they said the limit was 16 birds! although I'm not sure how easy it is to obtain permission there or not.

Replacing an elk hunt with a bird hunt is definitely not an equal alternative!
You and your one friend should go hunt elk. You will be a year older in 2016 and will be bumming about wasting a season because you were waiting on a friend. Get an OTC tag and just go. You can bird hunt when you are older and cant hike the mountains. lol.

I live in western New York. Early goose permission is easy to obtain. Get a list of dairy farmers from DFA where you plan on hunting and start calling. There are so many nuisance geese that farmers are very open to allowing hunters if you are respectful

Half Ace we have talked about it. We go birds one year and elk the next. This is elk year so we did talk about it but at this point we aren't sure it would be the same. Thanks dcoryn that helps.

Western Nebraska on the Platte River is crazy in late January lots of birds in the bag!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back