Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Traditions Vortek Northwest Magnum

ERSS

I am looking for a new muzzleloader and would like one that is legal for both the muzzleloader Idaho seasons and the short range weapons season. Looks like this Traditions Vortek Northwest Magnum is the ticket. Done some online research, but wondering if anyone out there is shooting one and their opinions? Is it easy to switch out from percussion cap to 209 primer? Any accuracy reviews?

Dont do it

I live in Oregon and hunt elk with a Knight Big horn. Alot of people have put there Vortex muzzle loaders up for sale. Why ? They have a real problem going Boom!!! The word over here is dont buy one. My son shoots a CVA it had a ignition problem and CVA stood by it and sent him a new trigger.Problem solved. Hope this helps.

I bought one, not long after initial post. I love it. I replaced the nipple and use percussion caps ( it only comes set up for musket caps ) and have never had a misfire. Only used so far for short range season, not shot a "traditional muzzleloader" set up ( as defined by IDFG ) as of yet. Pretty much point and shoot out to 150 yards with 100 grains of pyrodex and the Hornady 50 cal Lock and Load speed sabot/45 cal 250 gr monoflex bullet. Shot a muley this year at just under a hundred.....didn't go too far. So far I have no complaints.

Attachments

• Deer3.jpg
    Deer3.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 1,091
Actually that's not true, the only complaint I have is that my wife said my hat in this picture looks like the end of a penis.

So you can shoot that setup you describe during a short range season...but if it was a muzzleloader season, you could use the same gun you would just have to revert back to the way it was setup when you got it?

Yup, that's the way it is supposed to work. Also can add a scope during short range season, and technically convert to 209 primer for even more sure fire ignition. Out of the box it is ready to go as a legal muzzleloader as per the Idaho rules for "muzzleloader" hunts.

Yup, that's the way it is supposed to work. Also can add a scope during short range season, and technically convert to 209 primer for even more sure fire ignition. Out of the box it is ready to go as a legal muzzleloader as per the Idaho rules for "muzzleloader" hunts.

That's probably the most sound advice I've heard so far...to accurately let me know what I can use. Thanks Jeff.

I just bought a Traditions Vortek Strikefire. Have not shot it so far,thinking of selling it .Nice looking gun but I already have several muzzleloader. I bought it as I got a great deal on it.

Back