Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Skinning Knife Suggestions?

I've had good luck with my Havalon. Even with 6 blades it only weighs a few ounces.

I also have a 4" fixed blade Mora(it's only a 3/4 tang) that can be honed absolutely razor sharp. I usually use it in combination with my Havalon to process game. The Havalon for skinning, the Mora for boning and breaking down meat.

Lacking any finesse in dealing with an elk on the ground, I quickly broke two blades on my hunting buddy's Havalon. I unsheathed my hefty Ruana and finished the job without further concern about breaking blades, or razor-cutting myself.

Got a Havalon last year. Not impressed. Back to the tried and true Victorinox. Crazy lucky since mine works fine outside the house.;)

+1 on the Havalon, I helped my guide last year clean my elk. I had a pretty decent Gerber Ive used for years and my guide had a Havalon-he was faster and his blade seemed to stay sharper longer. Defiantly lighter in the back country too.

Last season was my first year using the Havalon and I think it has earned a spot in my pack. So far I've done three antelope, a mule deer, and 1/2 a hog last weekend with it. If you think of it as a scalpel, you will be fine.

I've used the Victornox Skinners while in the College meat lab and there is a reason that the commercial guys use them. I still have mine.

I think that you have to just get to know your fixed blade and when you need to touch it up and keep it from getting too far gone while skinning. It is easy to get wrapped up in this steel and that steel,and so forth but, remember folks used obsidian less than 300 years ago. Now that is edge management!

Learn to use a sharpening steel and stone and pick a knife you like the looks and feel of. Don't chop wood with it, and learn what edge angle you need to keep on it.

Commit to one knife to master rather than having half a dozen in your pack half sharp.

I've just been using the small havalon. It's great, but you gotta slow down and be careful as I've never seen a blade that sharp. I cut myself pretty good with it last year. I was quartering my brothers cow in 5 below temps and luckily I was wearing rubber gloves (so the blood didn't freeze on my hands), it probably saved me a millimeter of tissue damage. You will also break blades if you don't take your time, at least IME.

I picked up the larger havalon and am stoked to try it out this season. It's still light weight, slightly less sharp but seems much more durable for when your trying to cut the shins off and pop joints loose.

If there is any chance you will be going moose hunting the very best knife you can purchase for skinning moose is a utility knife with the replaceable blades. I will butcher 4-8 bull moose a year and I can skin a moose with one blade, discard and put in a new blade for the next one. Cobalt makes a very good folding model for under $20. You will need/want a different knife for the boning and caping.

+1 one this comment, but I am old school and too stubborn to change.

Last season was my first year using the Havalon and I think it has earned a spot in my pack. So far I've done three antelope, a mule deer, and 1/2 a hog last weekend with it. If you think of it as a scalpel, you will be fine.

I've used the Victornox Skinners while in the College meat lab and there is a reason that the commercial guys use them. I still have mine.

I think that you have to just get to know your fixed blade and when you need to touch it up and keep it from getting too far gone while skinning. It is easy to get wrapped up in this steel and that steel,and so forth but, remember folks used obsidian less than 300 years ago. Now that is edge management!

Learn to use a sharpening steel and stone and pick a knife you like the looks and feel of. Don't chop wood with it, and learn what edge angle you need to keep on it.

Commit to one knife to master rather than having half a dozen in your pack half sharp.

i have one last 'Original Piranta Havalon' with holster and dozen blades ill sell you. 45.00 shipped in the continental US. This is the stainless steel knife. they are awesome, i own 4 of them. PM me if you are interested.

^^ Good advice here. This is what I carry when backpacking:

http://www.barkriverknives.com/index/knife-series/search-rescue/bravo-necker-ii/

Great knife. 2.6oz and sharp as a razor.

I used my buddy's Havalon last year to process two deer, debone them, and make them ready for the packs. I was totally impressed. I bought one for myself and gave one to every hunter in our family for Christmas.

Todd Copp Custom from Chandler AZ. Best knife I've ever had.. and I've had several.

So upon fear of going against popular opinion I'll stand with the brave MT Miller and say I wasn't terribly impressed with the Havalon. Razor sharp to be sure but I don't like a knife that breaks in half in the body cavity of an animal and I have to be worry about cutting my finger off with the piece I can't find. Been carrying a cheap Gerber for years but I prefer a Victoranox boning knife when I can get an animal back to the house before breaking it down.

I've got a Havalon... sharp but clumsy.

For just skinning I like my Wyoming knife...couple that with a 3" fixed blade and you can break anything down.

I'm with Miller and Gerald, I'd take a sharp fixed blade over a havalon any day. The problem is my fixed blades are never sharp and I've always got extra havalon blades around, so I end up using the havalon the majority of the time. And the majority if the time I break the blade in the cavity of the animal somewhere. I do think it is a good idea to have a havalon with extra blades in your pack all the time.

I liked he looks of the outdoor edge with the replaceable blades that theat was using this spring. If I didn't already have a havalon I'd snag one of those.

Those Outdoorsmans look nice as they have support down the blade to keep the from breaking.

I'm currently running a Mike Miller drop point hunter in SV30 and a Havalon. I do the big stuff with the Miller and the delicate stuff with the havalon.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back