wyoming units 23 and 24 help

bb1379

long story short, we didn't draw where we wanted in the initial drawing and couldn't come to a decision on a couple leftover units before they sold out yesterday. as a last resort I'm looking at trying to find a ranch to hunt in mid-October in 23 or 24. the only reason I'm still trying is this will be my son's first out of state big game hunt. I have a ranch list but everyone I've called has either not answered, has no availability or wants their name taken off the list because they are not allowing hunting. does anyone know of a ranch in one of these units that would be worth a 21 hour drive to go hunt that's not expensive as heck?

I would suggest buying a point this year and applying next year. Your odds of drawing a much better unit and being able to hunt public land will be greatly improved with one point and you could have a very economical antelope hunt.

I know that list and I found a ranch a couple of weeks ago. The farther down on the list I got the better it got. I think everybody starts at the top as well. The prices were all $400 and one was $350. $400 to hunt 26000 acres by our self is not bad in my book. Some of them said it was just one day and the one I got signed up with said we could take our time. I have to wait 12 to 16 years to hunt antelope in Oregon so I made this hunt happen. I have three Wyoming antelope points now. So I will come back with 6 or 7 points and have a good hunt on public land next time. Good Luck

ive been studying unit 24 maps including my onxmap program and it appears there is a public road labeled "hilight rd" that changes to T-7. it leads into a fair amount of blm and state land. does anyone have any familiarity with this area? I found on another post where someone posted some gps cords of this area but unsure if that was from actually being there or from some mapping program. im about ready to throw in the towel on trying to make something work out this year.

Unit 24

Call me slow or stupid but I can't make heads or tails on what roads are public and private using onx I have a trip planned to unit 24 could realy use some help

Won't call you either one because they don't tell you what roads are legal public access. You'll need to call the county seat and see if they will sell you a map that shows all of the county roads that are maintained with taxpayer money. The state highways should be showing on your onx just like they do on the BLM maps you can buy for $4, but you'll need more than that to get off of them and stay legal. 24 has very few public roads that hit any real amount of public land and that makes hunting what limited public land there is very difficult.

Last edited:
Wow! Seems like these areas are going to be crowded on the opener! Hope our group can find some empty land to hunt without running into other groups

I picked up a doe antelope tag for both 23 & 24 and was planning on driving out from Michigan. I'm trying to get in a hunt on the cheap but hope I'm not wasting my time. I was planning on hunting the walk in areas to avoid some of the crowds I'd expect to encounter on the blm areas. I know access is limited but is it really that hard to find roads? Are the walk in areas clearly marked or will it be strictly a GPS coordinate kind of thing? Hope I'm not hijacking.

Thanks,
Dan

Go out the second half of the season and you should be okay. If you go out for the opening week, you will be very unhappy and disappointed to drive that far for 2 doe tags. The WIHAs are the last place you'll want to go the first week to get away from people compared to the limited public land in those two units. You'll need a good GPS and land owner chip to hunt the BLM and state lands because few, if any, are marked. The WIHAs, on the other hand, are well marked by the G&F with signs around the perimeter of those areas.

I don't know about 24, but the one up by Beaver Creek in 23 gets pounded hard because guys that get tags without looking into things all go there as a last resort type of deal.

I don't think I have ever seen an antelope on that Beaver Creek walk-in area. (too steep and deep) and you cant cross the creek legally to all that BLM to the south. (it's closed off)

There are literally hundreds of hunters on every ridge and on every road in that entire area on the 1st of Oct. It's crazy. If it were me, I would try unit 16.

Won't call you either one because they don't tell you what roads are legal public access. You'll need to call the county seat and see if they will sell you a map that shows all of the county roads that are maintained with taxpayer money. The state highways should be showing on your onx just like they do on the BLM maps you can buy for $4, but you'll need more than that to get off of them and stay legal. 24 has very few public roads that hit any real amount of public land and that makes hunting what limited public land there is very difficult.

That would be a great option for onx maps. I'd pay extra to have the public roads labeled on the maps.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ColtenGilbert
Back