Caribou Gear

Gettin' in shape?

Bad deal on the bum foot, hope it heals quick. How did it happen?

It happened by being bored with my existing workouts, so I got the stupid idea to run down a trail in the Gallatin Range with a 30#+ pack. I already had surgery to repair the same injury on the right foot, years ago. You think I would know better.

Flat footed people, and I stretch the image of "flat footed," are prone to Posterior Tibial Tendon issues. Comes with the territory and when you combine stupidity with flat feet, this is what you get.

When you are bored with the 2,000' descent and you feel it is not helping your cardio, you do stupid things, such as decide that trotting down the trail will help.

Good news is, if I get out of the cast on the 28th, I still have 12 days to build my cardio and leg strength back up before I head to Nevada for archery mule deer that opens on August 10th. I'm sure I can make up for five weeks of lost training time in those twelve days. :rolleyes:

Hoping there are some mule deer living down in those big P-J flats, 'cause the Schell Creek Range was pretty nasty last time I hunted it. Stupid is as stupid does.

Decided that I shouldn't go with my normal plan of hiking the hills during elk season to get ready for deer season. Hid the keys to the truck and I'll ride the bicycle 5 miles to work till mid September. Nothing can go wrong now, can it? Sitting in a truck for 5 hours a day isn't the best thing for cardio health.

Started to get a little more serious after eating too much this weekend while in Montana. Not a terrible start today, but that bagel and cream cheese killed me this morning in a moment of weakness. I hadn't had my morning coffee and had forgot about the commitment I made to my wife yesterday. Tomorrows pie chart should be better balanced.

I've been doing 4 25-mile bike rides weekly on my road bike, just clicked over 1,000 miles since starting in April. I'm like you Big Fin, I don't have the mindset for a gym - never stepped in one in my life.

I dropped the 10 pounds I typically pick up each winter, am at my target weight for my Alaska moose/caribou hunt. Now need to focus more on core, I get lazy and don't do much about that, big no-no at 53 years old.

Good luck to all with your training and your hunts this fall!

I'm down 23lbs since February. Hitting the gym hard at least 4 days a week and cardio one or two times too. Cutting way back on beer and eating better helps I'm sure.

.... Cutting way back on beer and eating better helps I'm sure.

Beer is always my weakness. Amazing how quick pounds can fall off when you quit having a couple after work.

Carbon TV has made the morning treadmill at home enjoyable. I can usually get a couple episodes of OYOA in each morning. Just watched both bighorn sheep hunts from season 2:D

Dropped close to 10 pounds... but would love to drop another 20 before the season starts.... better diet should help out.

I managed to tripped on some slick rocks while fly fishing on a small creek. I wrecked my right foot/ankle. Today is the first day I could successfully get a flipflop on my right foot without nearly passing out from pain. I'm missing a pretty major training session in the Breaks this week but hope to be at 50% hike next week. In 2 weeks is an 8-10 day spike camp survey in the Badger-Two Medicine area.

Just keep moving all day, if I have to walk somewhere, I jog, when I have to mow, push mow, don't slack and don't be lazy. At home I do sprints on the hill out back and I do pretty good out west, and I'm 48 . move, move, move

Ran my first half marathon in march and a week later began training for my first marathon. Decided to do the madison marathon which in coming up here in a couple weeks. It's at 9000' so should be fun. It's all on dirt roads in the gravelly mountains so there'll be a nice view.

Nice. I've been hanging around the same weight the last couple months but am stronger. Its so hot here that running sucks most days. Monsoons have been making it more bearable lately though.

Plan to hunt high and hard again this year and work out routine is rounding into form. Always hated running and have done that before but I am substituting classes at my local Gold's Gym this year. I do "Body Attack", "Body Combat" and "Body Pump" classes and they are really paying results. Two are basically what used to be called aerobics classes and one is a low weight high rep resistance training class. The classes are tough and I have to watch my form as early in the spring I tore the medial meniscus in my right knee during one of the classes then darn near did the same to my left about a month ago. I have to let my ego go, really watch my form and know when to back off. Along with the classes I do some stepper with a 25lbs pack and some light squats with no more than 135lbs. Doin about 3 classes a week, the squats once and the stepper 1-2 times a week.
Really working for me.

Last edited:
Mine was going well, got on the scales today down from 194lb (5'9'') to 174lb, went for another run, only 3 miles but my Achilles tendon is killing me today, of course my wife didn't help when she said 'that can snap very easy and your Montana trip will be off!':eek:
Thanks darling!
Think i will give it a few days rest.
Cheers
Richard

Ran my first half marathon in march and a week later began training for my first marathon. Decided to do the madison marathon which in coming up here in a couple weeks. It's at 9000' so should be fun. It's all on dirt roads in the gravelly mountains so there'll be a nice view.

Sounds like a nice race other than the 9,000' elevation part!

Good luck!

I've got a little running streak going right now. 22 days and 153.3 miles for an average right at 7 miles per day. Still shedding a little weight, hope to be right around 200ish for my mountain goat hunt which means I still need to lose 9 pounds.

Down 35# and holding it there to build my strength back up. Fall Bear starts Aug 1 and Elk the end of August.

Great job WapitiBob! That's like starting with a fairly heavy pack already missing. Just shedding the pounds made a big difference for me back in 2012. I was up over 240 and got all the way down to 200 before gaining a little bit over the past year. It's a LOT easier to put it on than to take it off!

At least Cam has enough sense to empty the pack before heading back down the mountain. :p http://www.fieldandstream.com/articles/hunting/2014/06/get-elk-hunting-shape-phase-2 Hope the wheel is better soon Big Fin!

I've been doing two rounds on this loop, twice a week, with about 35lbs on my back. Starting to work in a few runs between hikes, should be ready to rock and roll by October.

Looking forward to heavy packs and thin air this fall. :hump:

Attachments

• Capture.jpg
    Capture.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 186
....Hope the wheel is better soon Big Fin!

Got clearance this morning for a one-hour hike each day, but must be on trails (no off trail stuff) and must ice and immobilize it the rest of the day. I'll take that deal.

Just gotta make sure I don't over do it, as if I have a major set back, things are going to go bad for this season. The temptation to push it is there. I just have to resist that temptation.

Save yourself for your season....or at least if you're going to overdo it, overdo it with weapon in hand and tag in pocket. Putting yourself out of commission on trails surrounding Bozeman just doesn't have a great ring to it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1st BDX Scope
Back