Caribou Gear Tarp

First time archery hunt SD advice.

Stish

Hello everyone,

This is my first time on this forum. I am in the process of planning a spot and stalk mule deer hunt in NW SD. I am looking at some areas around Bowman and Buffalo that look pretty decent. I noticed looking at google maps that there is alot of roads in the area, can anyone give me an idea of where to begin my search for areas that I can get a few miles away from the roads? Anywhere in the western part of the state is fine. Also, I have heard that I may be wise to get an antelope tag when I do my hunt as well, is this true? I am primarily looking for a decent mule deer buck, but if I have upon a wall hanger whitetail I would not hesitate to shoot it. What time of year is the best to go out there? Any other tips that would be helpful from people who have does these is welcome.

Thanks in advance!

can anyone give me an idea of where to begin my search for areas that I can get a few miles away from the roads?

A BLM map or a hunting chip for HuntingGPSmap will answer that question better than anyone on this site. I'm not familiar with the area, so I can't help you. Sorry.

Use "WILMA" via SD game and fish website. It shows all of the public land and walk in areas. It's a very good resource.

I'm not sure if there is any where in SD that you can get a mile or two away from other hunters!

True, 2 years ago I was set up about 100 yards away from a group of bachelor bucks south of Hot springs,SD. I was tucked away in this dry creek bottom when 2 other archers came walking right towards me. I got their attention and one ducked down and stopped . The other just looked at me and kept walking right towards these deer. They all spooked and I never saw them in that public piece the rest of the year. I was so mad, I went and talked to the courteous guy and asked him what his partners problem was and he was just as mad as I was. Apparently he had never archery hunted before because there was no way he was going to catch a mule deer that way.

Hunted that area many years ago for antelope. You don't need to get "miles" from the road to get Mule deer. Most bed in the hills and draws. Get some binos and pattern where the go in the AM and where they come out in the PM & set up.

I am not sure, however, I thought that antelope in that area went to a draw to the low numbers. I could be wrong. Lots of private land in that area. Knock on doors.

good luck to all
the dog

Thanks for all of the advice. I plan on gathering as much info as I can between now and next year. I'm from Wisconsin so this spot and stalk is going to be all new to me any tips for being more successful? Audio will my camo that I use up here work or should I get something else? I currently use realtree xtra.

Regarding camo patterns....I find the style of pattern to be less important than knowing how to play the wind, being stealthy (become a ninja!!) and cutting your losses before you start......some critters are in such a position that it's a no-go, wait for a different day spot.

Just being out getting after it is the best, scoring a critter is icing on the cake.

I bow hunted about 20 miles east of buffalo 6 or 7 years ago and rifle hunted antelope 15 miles south of buffalo 4 years ago. Both times I seen plenty of deer. Never seen another hunter when I bow hunted there. From what I seen it was a 70/30 mule deer to whitetails. I had multiple stalk opportunity's almost every day. Get a good pair of binoculars and use them and keep the wind in your favor. Good luck and have fun.

I rifle hunted up unit 15C (north of Buffalo) in 08 and 09. You should do fine finding remote areas either on the larger walk-in or forest service lands. In 08 there were deer all over, missed a 5 pt whitetail first morning and later shot him off the river oxbox. In 09 I noticed few deer due too the previous winter. There is a larger walk-in property north of Buffalo that I seen pronghorn and whitetail/mule deer on, but all were small. I don't know how the herds are now. It just seemed me the hunter pressure was heavy on public lands.

I found a rock shelter high up on a butte that was big enough for one small man to stand up in and you could see thousand of acres below. I don't know if was recent or indian built, but it was in a really good spot to hunt/scout from.

Thanks again for all of the input. I like the idea of walk in areas seems like it would be easier to get away from the crowds that way. Is there a certain time of year I should focus on going? I'm not looking for a trophy class deer just want a chance at an average buck.

Right now I am leaning towards the last week of October or first week of November.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back