Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

archery shot distance.....realistic?

michsteelguy

Ok, so here's what I have been contemplating....... I'm (for the most part) a midwestern, bowhunter that has gained half a lifetime of experience from the thickets , hardwoods, and swamps of Michigan. In 2012, I was introduced to western hunting (Montana), and my "hunting" life changed forever! I have come to the conclusion that I have ALOT more to learn and have finally realized that an entirely new world is out there for me to experience. It was a very successful gun hunt (for muleys), although I came home empty-handed, but it opened my eyes to a whole new world! Anyways...... I'll cut to the chase......
I see these western hunting shows, and read forum posts in which archery is the hunt method used, and the hunters seem to have an extended shot range. For my usual (Mich.) conditions, 30 yds is absolute MAX.... since I deal with thickets, brush, etc. Then I see/read about these guys taking 50-60 yards (minimum) yard shots with their bows. I am NO WAY questioning this as I know its much more difficult to get close to the game (out west), but what is a realistic yardage a bowhunter should expect to encounter, and be confident enough to initiate an accurate, humane kill shot???? (elk, muleys, etc.) I also realize every terrain condition and game is different in itself but I'm wondering how many steps back I need to go at the range if I want to attempt to be an effective western bowhunter????

I've never had any reason to need to practice any further then 50 yards but wouldn't shoot an elk over 40 unless it was a wide open field shot.Elk have almost always come to within 30 yards of me when they respond;usually a lot closer.Now mule deer would be a different ballgame,but would depend if your mountain hunting in timber or open country.For muleys I'd want to be shooting out to 60 yards.Now some elk hunts can be wide open country too so a lot depends on where your hunting.But, your good for elk if you can shoot to 30 now.

Michsteelguy, I've often thought about the same thing since I hunt the same types of thickets and woods as you described.
On my MT elk hunt, I practiced out to 50 yards but was not going to shoot an elk past 30, which there wasn't a need to. However, I'm planning on WY antelope and I'm really wondering about the range myself. Basically, what range to expect vs. my 100% comfort range. I know it'll be past the 30 yards that I felt confident in on elk, but I factored in the sheer size of an elk and penetration.
I'll watch this thread for comments myself.

Last edited:
I have yet to shoot an elk over 35 yards away......

BOHNTR is one of the most accomplished western archery hunters you will find. Read his posts and you will get more/better information than anywhere; web, print, or TV.

Mich, many of us keep our shots under 50 yards. I think that getting closer is tougher with a camera behind you. Hunting is about stealth, and being able to get close. That even holds more truth when you consider archery. Don't get caught up in the long range stuff.

I guess my longest has been 50 yards, but I respect bowhunters who get in close on a stalk and make it count. Seems like my hunting effective range tends to be about Half of my MAX range on the Field Archery Course.

If you can regularly shoot a field/hunter course in the off season it is a pretty good and challenging way to work on your longer shots. That said, anything over 30 yards I'm going to have to KNOW the yardage before I draw. 10-30 are all within "minute of elk".

If you practice out to 70 or 80, then a 40 yard shot is a chip shot. Then, if that elk of a lifetime steps out at 60 yards and you can't get any closer for whatever reason, you can confidently take the shot

With my current black gold multi pin set up I can practice out past 100 yards but saying that I would never take a shot past 60 yards my furthest shot was in the high country of utah on a mule deer at 52 yards and I pinwheeled him due to practice that was a chip shot to me it felt like elks a different story never shot one past 40 yards due to calling in elk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back