PEAX Equipment

first elk hunt

duckhunt

Im planning my first elk hunt for 2016. What would you do for your first hunt. Someday I want to do backcountry archery but with no experience with elk or mountains I better learn first. I think a rifle cow hunt in an over the counter unit in colorado with a motel room for shelter would be a good starting point. Would you do anything different to start learning western hunting. I am doing antelope in wyoming next year.

Im planning my first elk hunt for 2016. What would you do for your first hunt. Someday I want to do backcountry archery but with no experience with elk or mountains I better learn first. I think a rifle cow hunt in an over the counter unit in colorado with a motel room for shelter would be a good starting point. Would you do anything different to start learning western hunting. I am doing antelope in wyoming next year.

1. Have someone whack you in the legs with a heavy board for several hours a day - especially the knees - to simulate the beating you will take by gaining and dropping elevation like a mad man, with a good pack on your back.
2. Give me $1,200 every year for a couple of years to simulate the money you will spend.
3. Do all of that with a great big grin on your face. That will be a good start. :D

Seriously, you're in for a bunch of fun in the years to come. I'd move up your plans for an elk hunt to 2015, but you seem like you're on the right track for the rest.

I went on my second elk hunt today with two experienced hunters and my buddy bagged a nice cow. It was a blast and I was glad to be with some guys who knew what they were doing. I was also thankful that there were 3 of us to pack her out. I didn't realize just how big these animals were. Definitely not something I would want to attempt alone until I get a bit more experience under my belt. I can't wait to get one of my own though! Best of luck in the future!

I combined a leftover cow tag in Wyoming with my deer/antelope hunt this year, was my first year hunting elk. I was in elk everyday and shot a cow on day 4 at 15 yards.

If you either can't afford the extra tag or don't have time for a multi-species hunt in 2015, I'd either scout a general tag unit in Wyoming for a couple days next year while you're there, or a unit where you can draw or buy a leftover cow tag.

If you do decide on Wyoming, buy a PP in 2015 so you'll have a good chance at drawing a general tag in 2016.

Most places that are gonna be good hunting aren't very close to a hotel. Plus by staying in town you lose precious sleep time. And besides, if you have the right equipment to keep you warm, who wouldn't want to find their own little piece of public land heaven. Granted worse case scenario, bad weather moves in and a hotel isn't such a bad idea. Ensure you show up in top notch shape, make the investment and buy good quality gear if this is something you want to stick with, because the mountains are very unforgiving and the better prepared you are with the right gear will only add to a better experience. Good quality boots are a must. Do as much research on the animals and the area that you can, that's the cheapest insurance you could buy, talk to locals, game wardens, biologists, call the local BLM or Forest Service office and ask if they have anyone in the office that could give you some good tips. I have numerous people call me each spring for advice on good areas in the spring

Get ready to go in 2015. Applications will be in the next few months.

East coast guy here ... and a noob to this site....wanted to jump in and follow along as I hope to one day hunt elk. I share some of duckhunt's concerns about getting out there the first time. As an east coaster, scouting opportunities would be totally online. I am not real thrilled about picking a state/spot online, getting all the way out there, and finding that I ended up in the same exact spot 10,000 other hunters did. Not trying to be a whiner....I just think the elk hunt may be a once-in-a-lifetime event for me, so I want to do it "right."

Get in the best physical condition you can be...when you think you are there get in better. Why not try for any sex Otc tag?

Another easterner here who went on his first elk hunt this past Sept. I was fortunate enough to have someone who had been for 20 years straight hunting Montana DIY archery style on public land. If it were not for him, his knowledge, sharing equipment, etc, it would have been even more tough. I did kill a really nice bull on the second day of our 14 day hunt.
Anyway, I'm 47, in pretty good shape, and worked out hard for a few months prior. I went to area mountainous areas to try to get more prepared for the ups and downs of hiking. Treadmill every day. When I stepped out of the truck in Montana, I was sucking air! No matter how much I worked out, the altitude about killed me. Hauling out 85-100 lbs of meat per load was absolutely brutal going up and down mountains. I can't express to you how much you will need to be in the best shape you can be!

Sounds like I had a miserable time? Ah no, that's part of the challenge. If I were you, plan a two week hunt, set up camp, and enjoy the experience. You will spend too much time traveling back and forth from the hotel. Listen to the bungling all night, and make it a hunt of a lifetime.
I can't wait for next Sept! Already preparing!

Last edited:
I try to get in condition several weeks before my hunt but at near 63years old ,I have decided that I will never be in the shape I was at 30 and look for elk hunting areas not as rough as I used to hunt.A combo hunt of antelope and cow elk is a great way to start and is a great way for us senior hunters to go.What ever you plan,you will have a great time with your planning.I have hunted the western states near 40 times and it all started with my first deer hunt. I remember it like it was yesterday.
Make your plans and go. You will never regret it !

OK. That does it. Let me get this Thanksgiving weekend behind me, then I will begin training for the elk hunt of my future. ;) OK....so conditioning is my Number One requirement. What would be the Number Two thing to know for a first time elk hunter?

Any recommended states for a first-timer? The whole tag draw thing is a bit confusing for an east-coaster, but there seems to be plenty of online info available.

Thanks!

If you can pay the money ,a reputable outfitter is worth the cost especially on your first experience.He will have the gear ,livestock and most of the knowledge that you will need .You will learn a lot from a good guide/outfitter.
Colorado boasts of having the largest herd,but they also get pounded by hunters.Wyoming is also a good choice along with most mountain states. I personally only have hunted these two states and do not know anything about the other neighboring states.

Thanks, Roooster52. I had been in phone discussions with a Wyoming guide last year, but this year when I tried to follow up I found his phone numbers had been disconnected. I think I'd be sweating bullets had I put any money down during our initial discussions....

I'd say a muzzleloader cow hunt(certain units are easy to draw). You could hunt the same timeperiod as archery and get to learn the area for a future archery hunt. Great time of year to be in the mountains.

Again, I'm new to this, but I was able to buy my Montana tag over the counter with no draw. I'll go there again next year.

2014 First Time Elk Hunt

I went on a guided elk hunt this year in Wyoming for my first elk/western archery hunt and HIGHLY recommend going with an experienced guide. They were great at walking us eastern flatlanders through what it was going to take to have a good hunt and yes, the better shape your in the better your experience will be. I'm 57 and in good shape but went on a workout program for strength and endurance starting six months before the hunt and I still lost 12 pounds over the 8 day hunt. We ate and drank alot but when you're walking 8-10 miles of mountains a day, you really burn the calories. I used Tangled Ridge Outfitters, it is a family run business and they were super helpful in making sure I was ready for a wilderness and/ranch hunt. We were into nice bull elk each day and I had a wonderful hunting experience but honestly the scenery was worth the trip let alone the quality of elk we saw. I too thought that this was a once-in-a-lifetime hunt but after this years hunt, I can't wait to go back again. Be careful, elk hunting is infectious. :)

I think im going to put in for the colorado muzzle loader tag. The weather should be good and hopefully the bulls are bugling. I think that would be a good start to the learning process.

Everything that has been said has been great advice, I would only add that you should arrive where ever you are planning on hunting several days in advance to adjust to the altitude. I have lived in the west my entire life, and I was still sucking wind at 9200 feet when I killed my elk this year, so I'm sure you guys from the lower elevations would need a day or two to get used to the air supply( or lack thereof) Don't over look montana either, you can usually buy a surplus deer/elk combo tag for under a thousand dollars, and if you cant connect on an elk, you can usually find a nice mulie. Good luck where ever you end up next fall!

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back