Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Corned Brine Recipe?

katqanna

For decades I have wanted to make my own corned venison (corned beef). Finally, short on freezer space I decided to do it right now. Did a search on here, but couldnt find anything. Does anyone have any proven corned beef brine recipes they would share? I am talking about the brining where you let it sit in the brine pot for about 2 weeks.

I have one that I use every year and it turns out awesome. Need to check in my recipe book at home and then I can get you a link to it. Will try to do that tonight. It is super simple and turns out great.

Recipe Link: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/corned-venison/

I think that is the recipe as it looks exactly like the ingredients and steps, but let me double check.

Last edited:
I am excited by this. I looked at a variety of recipes, noting differences and commonalities. I opted not to use the nitrates for health reasons, I dont need it to be pink and since the bulk of the spices being used are anti-bacterial I figured I am good on the preservation aspect, especially since my spices are organic, non-irradiated. I did add a wee bit more of the mustard and coriander since since I add more of those when I cook the commercial ones.

This cant brine fast enough for me now. And if this works, I will definitely have to up my hunting to keep myself in corned venison. ;)

What're you doing it to? I've never tried venison before, always done it one bear meat. I've heard good thing about Moose meat with it too. I think the larger grained meats are more conducive to the brining.

I have made corned venison several times using a roast or round steak cutlets. Brine= 1 gal water, 1/2 cup sugar, 1 3/4 cup sea salt, 3 tsp pink salt and 1/4 cup pickling spice.Put meat into brine and put a plate or something heavy on it to hold it down. Put in ref. for 6 or 7 days take out rinse off. I cook my in crock pot. Cubed potatoes on bottom then meat carrots sliced onion and cabbage a little garlic and pepper. Fill with water up to meat. Cook on high for about 5 hours then on low for about 4 hours. Enjoy life is good.

Randy, I am doing this to some of the larger cuts on white tail does hindquarters. I also forked it alot for the brine to saturate the meat better and made sure that the pieces werent too deep as one of the hunting site recipes pointed out, which makes sense for surface contact - preservation.

pabearhunter, thanks for mentioning the plate, I forgot to add that for weight.

I forgot to tell you to bring the gal of water to a boil and then add the brine mix so it dissolves then let brine cool before putting meat in.

I saw that in the other recipes, but I also can, pickle a lot of garden produce so I knew that process. I let it cool before adding the venison so that it wouldnt cook the meat. But thank you for mentioning for any others reading or in case I didnt know, especially since the coarse salt would be harder to dissolve.

Meateater did it on TV I am sure you could find it on his website. I think he used elk but it looked really good.

Haven't tried it yet, but this website has several that look good.

http://honest-food.net

Now that is a fun website. I am a huge foodie, always looking for and creating great recipes. I get off on foraging, it is not not just fishing and hunting for my food, but plant life a s well.

I clicked on the foraging tab thinking it was going to be your traditional Eulle Gibbons stuff like wild asparagus, fiddleheads or cattail roots. They frickin had nettle pasta and using mallow leaves for my dolmas, which there are more of here in Montana than there are grape leaves (miss mustang grapes in Texas). I will have to try those at a future wild game foraging dinner. Thanks for the link.

I have made the one from Honest-Food / Hanks Shaw with the antelope my family shot this year.

It is very tasty and incredibly easy. Pair it with some sheep cheese and sauerkraut.

Saw this after looking up the pickling spices for corned beef. Going to give corned elk a try.

Thanks Buzz,they have a lot of stuff I have been looking for.
Time for some crock cured dills with corned elk Rueben.

Back