Preference Points and Group Hunts

Colberjs

I have a question about group applications.

Say a particular unit usually takes 10 preference points to draw out. If we apply as a group and one hunter has 10 points and I have 2 points. Do I benefit from his having more points or is he at a disadvantage because I only have 2 points or is there a secret formula that keeps it fair for everybody?

I'm not familiar with how group applications work in the drawing process.

Which state are you talking about? They all do it a little differently, but none that I'm aware of bump everyone up to the one with the most. Most of the states average out the points of everyone in the group that apply. In your example your group would go into the draw as if you had 6 points. 10 + 2 = 12 divided by 2 = 6.

It's my understanding that it will draw according to the lowest point holder, at least for mt. I'm sure someone will know definitively soon enough.

Depends on the state. Some take the point total of the lowest group member, some average the points between group members.

To answer your question, you are screwing your buddy in the scenario you laid out...I don't think any state will take the point total of the highest group member.

I kind of figured it would average out. We're applying for Colorado.

So is the group application like one app in the draw or is everybody in there individually and if one guy gets drawn the others automatically get to tag along?

One app. Instead of both of you having individual apps and having a chance to get drawn, you go together on the one app and either that app gets drawn or not. The idea is that some people don't want to hunt without everyone in their party having a tag. Everyone draws or no one draws.

If the OP would go into the state G&F website he's interested in hunting, it is all explained in there. Wyoming averages the group PPs and does not round up or down. If the OP has 2 and his buddy has 10, they would go in the draw with 6 PPs and would have one chance in the PP Draw they apply for (Regular or the higher priced Special) to get the tag before going into the random draw that everyone who doesn't get a tag in the first drawing goes into.

The man said colorado. They take the least number of points in the group. In this case you would have 2 points and your buddy gets hosed.

The man said colorado. They take the least number of points in the group. In this case you would have 2 points and your buddy gets hosed.

Yep, and as I stated, if the OP would have gone into the state G&F website for the state he was asking about before he came back on when someone asked where he was talking about, he could have read the exact information that he was given by you and another member on this thread.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Trapper330
Back