Emergency Elk Season Closure - Gallatin County Montana

.284 is an interesting choice. Not really one of the hot LR cartridges today, but not a bad choice by any means.

I'm not too techy on the rifles but I've seen my son and friend Jake shoot it out to nearly a mile on a calm day - with precision accuracy. He's shooting a 162 Amax bullet at (I think) around 2900fps. My son put two bullets in the bullseye at 530m, through an opening in the timber, after a long wait and watch alert near a fire. First time my son fired that rifle was at a basketball sized rock at 1340m and he drilled it. With a light snow on Saturday, we could see the wind direction across the canyon, at times it was blowing hard both ways. When he shot, it was dead calm.

So his average shot distance on elk is 2 yards with a bow, and 580 with a rifle. :)

.284 is an interesting choice. Not really one of the hot LR cartridges today, but not a bad choice by any means.

What's not to like about a round that pushes a .6+ BC bullet at 2950? Like I mentioned earlier, I shot that rifle with Jake a day before he went with Tyler and Kurt. It's extremely accurate. I shot a sub 3/4" group at 220 yards with it. Jake piss pounded a steel wolf target at 700 yards over and over again in a strong crosswind that day.

What's not to like about a round that pushes a .6+ BC bullet at 2950? Like I mentioned earlier, I shot that rifle with Jake a day before he went with Tyler and Kurt. It's extremely accurate. I shot a sub 3/4" group at 220 yards with it. Jake piss pounded a steel wolf target at 700 yards over and over again in a strong crosswind that day.

As I said:

not a bad choice by any means.

I have a question for mr breaks runner:

What makes the A-max the bullet of choice? I'm asking because I don't know a lot about it and I keep hearing a lot about the Berger vld. What are the strong points for the A max as opposed to the rest of the .284 bullets in that area of grains?

I shoot a 160 grain accubond out of my 7mm remmy and am just curious as to what else is out there. Do you think the accubond can be a good choice out to these distances? How much of what powder are you guys using?

Do any of you have a pic of this .284 gap brass sitting next to a regular 7 mag for comparison? What rangefinder and wind age instrument are you guys using?

Can you do this type of shooting with a Leica 1600-b or does a guy have to go to a G7 type of rangefinder to get out past 500+ yards?

I have a question for mr breaks runner:

Can you do this type of shooting with a Leica 1600-b or does a guy have to go to a G7 type of rangefinder to get out past 500+ yards?

I'm not Pat but I know that the Leica is plenty adequate for long ranges.

Pat I'd love to bring my new "baby" up and try your shoot. Crittergitter got me brainwashed:D into to getting it but man is it fun to shoot and to have confidence in shots over 500 is something I never thought could happen. Critter and I are both playing with Berger 180's and Barnes Lrx 168

Now I need to find a wolf on an opposing hillside at 700+ giving me the bird and then light him up. :D

Do any of you have a pic of this .284 gap brass sitting next to a regular 7 mag for comparison?

Again, I'm not Pat, GAP is the Rifle maker, the chambering from what I can tell is a .284Win.

I personally don't have any side by side pics, but here's a link to Wikipedia's page on the .284 which has a picture with it next to a .308 win and a 7mm RM.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.284_Winchester

Now I need to find a wolf on an opposing hillside at 700+ giving me the bird and then light him up.

Yeh.... thats the ticket!!!

You got Tyler headed in the right direction Kurt... dam... Good on you.

You should post another angle or two on that buck of yours...

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Giddyup64
Back