Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Nevada Deer Unit-231

LuckyMike

I just got lucky, after 13-years I've drawn a mule deer tag in Nevada unit-231. I'm very serious about hunting for the BIG ONE. Since I will doing this on my own, I'm interested in any advice, tips, your own experiences, etc. that any of you out there might be able to share with me.

Congrats, Mike!

That can be a good unit...though influenced heavily by migration, primarily during rifle season. There are monsters in there, but give thought to the migration status when you hit the unit and adjust your expectations (tag soup or not) based on the conditions.

Congrats on the very good zone, I will see what info I can gather up for you since I have some fellow hunters who have just spent time in that zone the last two years.

If I were to choose one area to start looking I would go to the White Rocks range on the UT/NV state line. I know that's a huge area but its a good start. Pick a high point and glass. Hunt on horseback if possible or plan on a lot of hiking...there are very few roads which is a good thing.

My lucky SOB friend has had 3 tags in 23 and gone 2 for 3 on 30" bucks with one 27-incher, all DIY. Maybe you shouldn't listen to me because he killed these bucks after I left.

This is my 2010 NV deer from a different S. NV area. Waited 15 years.

Attachments

• IMG00087.jpg
    IMG00087.jpg
    155.7 KB · Views: 4,939
Last edited:
lbirch, your buck is a real dandy! I saw in your "Out of the Office" album that he is 33" wide. Wow! I've never even seen a mule deer with 33" spread. It looks like he has good mass to boot. Thanks for the info on 231.

You're lucky to have this tag and I'm sure you'll see some great bucks. Be sure to be capable of shots out to 450 yards.

A friend sent me a picture of a buck killed earlier this week that I'm sure came off your unit. When your scouting or hunting don't discount the burned areas. The deer love 2 year old burns. I'd post the picture but I don't know the hunter and I hear they claim to have taken him in another area. Good luck.

You live in Montana, hunting solo, have wait 13 years (invested 13x $250/yr=$3250) and
"I'm very serious about hunting for the BIG ONE. "
Not prescouting ? or personal help there ? how long are you hunting ?

I would greatly consider giving Greg Krogh (Mogollon Rim Outfitters) a call. Could be big difference in nice buck, and GIANT... just my 2 cents.

I plan to hunt the entire season. Sticking with plan to do this on my own, although I've given a good deal of thought to using a guide. I've used an outfitter three times for mule deer. Once in Alberta, once in Greys River, Wyoming and once in British Columbia. You may be correct in that I should have saved my resources for this hunt and hired a top guide like you've suggested since this is such a great opportunity for a monster. One of my reasons for going it alone is that I am looking forward to spending a lot of time hunting this quality area. I want more out of this than just a trophy buck. Thanks, for your sound rational advice.

I had heard stories of some huge bucks years back. Saw a picture of a great big bow kill and I think it was taken on mount Wilson.

Good luck!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back