Bugle this time of year??

SWMontana1

I've never called at all during rifle season... your thoughts on bugling to try to locate lone bulls this time of year? Pointless or may they respond?

We called in 2 bulls on Wednesday during rifle season, I tagged a 5 point at 8 yards. Yesterday we saw a big herd with 4 six points in it, and the herd bull in that herd was screaming the whole weekend. Seems pretty late for sure this year, in my experience.

They didn't bugle on their own too much, a little bit, but they responded to our location bugles almost every time.

Last year there were three bulls with fifteen or so cows that were bugling on opening morning. One night a few days later as my brother and I were hiking out in the dark we had a bull bugle. Certainly isn't like hunting the rut and getting a conversation going, but they'll certainly bugle and possibly tip their position to you.

They were bugling like crazy in SW Co the opener thru Monday (10-11 thry 10-13)..went quiet Tuesday

I've heard them bugling past the Montana opener in late October but I don't bugle at 'em. I think I would be more likely to call in a hunter. I will try to sneak in and use cow calls though, if given an opportunity.

Had a bull bugling here in Idaho on Saturday 100yds from the road. 4 wheeler went right by and didn't even see the herd.

I'm texting back and forth with my brother who's whitetail hunting. He says theres a bull screaming his head off just off the edge of the field he's sitting.

If I get into bulls on the MT opener they are usually bugling to gather the ladies. After the first day they are quiet.

Pretty sure there were two bulls and a group of cows going crazy while I was sitting waiting for a whitey tonight, they never came out of the timber, but man were they making noise.

We called in 2 bulls on Wednesday during rifle season, I tagged a 5 point at 8 yards. Yesterday we saw a big herd with 4 six points in it, and the herd bull in that herd was screaming the whole weekend. Seems pretty late for sure this year, in my experience.

Interesting with the bugling action, something we were discussing a month ago on another thread and how things might run late this year.

Sounds like you guys got right into it.

When ever i am chasing late rutting animals or animals trying to pick up second cycling females i will try to use hind/doe calls more then anything, (not to say roars or bugles will not work as they will) as the males are generally on the move trying to find any left over females, i don't feel they are that interested in fighting again and are more so rolling the dice for a late run at the left overs...bit like a young lad in the bar on a saturday night 10 minutes before closing time.

We had a bull bugling his head off a few years ago. There must have been a hot cow, because he was screaming. We never could catch up to them though. We had a bull bugling at us for real opening week in the Wisdom country a couple of years ago until the wind swirled at the last minute and that was that. I would never go around bugling during rifle season because you'll call in hunters, but I have called bulls in with cow calls even later in rile season. I keep it handy at all times, and wouldn't hesitate to bugle if he seemed to want to come.

Interesting with the bugling action, something we were discussing a month ago on another thread and how things might run late this year.

Sounds like you guys got right into it.

When ever i am chasing late rutting animals or animals trying to pick up second cycling females i will try to use hind/doe calls more then anything, (not to say roars or bugles will not work as they will) as the males are generally on the move trying to find any left over females, i don't feel they are that interested in fighting again and are more so rolling the dice for a late run at the left overs...bit like a young lad in the bar on a saturday night 10 minutes before closing time.

Yeah you were spot on in your prediction earlier! You guys sure are good at keeping me motivated when the chips are down.

They were bugling in Unit 61 Colorado up until about 45 minutes after first light during second season. that's how I found mine. I didn't try calling, just zeroed in on the bugle.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back