Rifle caliber for elk?!

I'm still debating on the scope I plan to buy, but I'm looking at up to $200.00 for glass. I'm thinking about the Leopold VX1 in 4-12x40, I like a simple reticle with the least amount of clutter.

I will agree with others. In that price range, 3-9x is plenty of magnification. I've shot prairie dogs at 350-400yds with 9x magnification. At that price level, I'd rather trade better glass with lower magnification. For most hunting situations 6x is Really enough. There was an old adage that you should have 1x magnification for every 100yds you plan to shoot. I like a bit more, about 2x/100yds. If you are interested in a Leupold you should talk to Schmalts. He will hook you up.

I'll go against the grain here. I'd use the 170gr Partition in your 30-30, and keep the shots to 150yds. Double lung shot is a dead elk.

I've used the combination for decades on bulls with no lost animals.

I will agree with others. In that price range, 3-9x is plenty of magnification. I've shot prairie dogs at 350-400yds with 9x magnification. At that price level, I'd rather trade better glass with lower magnification. For most hunting situations 6x is Really enough. There was an old adage that you should have 1x magnification for every 100yds you plan to shoot. I like a bit more, about 2x/100yds. If you are interested in a Leupold you should talk to Schmalts. He will hook you up.

Don't overlook a straight 4x scope either. My wife's 30-06 sports a Leupold 4x33. It is the ultimate low profile, compact, lightweight scope.

I have never had a problem with it shooting critters out to 300-350 yards. I like them for their simplicity.

Also, have you considered a Weatherby Vanguard? You can get a .308 in the Vanguard S2 for about $450.

300 WBY Mag... Is what I use for deer, elk, and bear, but mostly it's shot placement...

Probably work well on sasquatch too..:D

Last edited:
Back