Elk .... Let's see them!!!

MT 2014, 1st archery elk

Attachments

• DSCN0290-1.jpg
    DSCN0290-1.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 2,819
9.12.2014, opening morning, 63 yards. My first elk!

image2_zps3df0d949.png

image1_zps4dd3f80c.png

2014 mt archeryhttp://onyourownadventures.com/hunttalk/attachment.php?attachmentid=43276&stc=1&d=1412045564

Attachments

• tucker.jpg
    tucker.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 2,691
I owe you Randy. I watched your "gutless" video twice before I left for the hunt. First elk I'd quartered myself, you helped make it a lot easier!!

Attachments

• P1090156(1).jpg
    P1090156(1).jpg
    149.1 KB · Views: 2,444
We have humped the same hills.....Hard to find big ones in that area. Army of orange most days. Buddy of mine shot a nice 5x5 out of there his first too. :)

No headgear, but my first elk, taken last week in Wyoming. I did see several good bulls, but had a leftover antlerless tag. Was pumped nonetheless..

First archery elk taken on the 2nd day of a 10 day hunt. I think rifle hunting may have found itself into the back seat of priorities.

Bumped a herd at dawn, followed by chasing distant bugles, interrupted by this guy coming in silent to a perfectly placed arrow at 35 yards.

Attachments

• e_G-Hunt-8.jpg
    e_G-Hunt-8.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 2,205
There will be many fine trophies added here this season.

7:29am opening morning hung by 8am.
Details will follow with more pictures as it gets pulled together. (just never been a photo guy, and thankful my dear friend is always armed)

Attachments

• gorilla.jpg
    gorilla.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 2,128
Young Lady's first elk

My friends daughter, 17, took her first bull this Saturday morning, you have to love the smile on those kids faces when they succeed! The older I get the more I appreciate the youngsters getting in on the action, I guess maybe I am finally growing up;)

Attachments

• opening day 2014.jpg
    opening day 2014.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 1,910
I love this pic. You notice the little creepy elf in the background?

Then she wanted a pic holding the rack like all the "huntin guys", meaning you all!! I can't wait til she tips one over herself.

My wife's 2014 AZ limited opportunity cow. My youngest daughter happened to be the first one to see it. Was a great time!

20141018_173100.jpg

First Elk

I think this bull was 1987. Wisdom Mt. We spooked him bedded right by a USFS trail and I called him right back with a cow call. Opening day of Rifle

1988 Gardiner bull

This bull was 1988 at Gardiner, Mt the year Yellowstone burned. He was a real old, big 5x5. His ivories were level with his gums. FWP aged him and said it looked like he was 14, but they didn't think that was possible. So many elk came out of the Park, and they started opening weekend. Of course that was pre-wolf days. We never hunted the "Firing Line" at Deckard Flats. We hunted up Bear Ck above Jardine. No crowds, and you could see bulls that came out all night, just feeding along. So cool, those days! Hundreds of elk at a time, Now none!

Missouri Breaks Unit 622 1994

This bull was a Missouri Breaks Unit 622 bull from out on the tip of U.L.Bend. He was a big old 7x6 bull. His ivories were right down to the gums too. I walked all the way out to the tip of "The Bend" and they ran down into the coulee next to me while I was laying down watching another bedded bull through the spotting scope. I had seen this bull the year before and he had that extra sticker on both sides. I will forever be thankful to the guys that I ran into at the trailhead with the horses the night before who heard me shoot and left me one of their horses to pack this bull out with! They may have saved my life. Pretty stupid of me. But I was young and dumb and full of crap. I always figured I would get it down then figure out how to get it out!

Gardiner Raghorn 1998

This bull came from Bassett Ck just N. of Gardiner, Mt. Still pre-wolf days. Many of those years we could have a migration if we got much snow. We took two raghorns out of the group of three that we saw. We were up in there quite a ways with horses this trip.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back