Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Tikka Pro/Con

The one advantage of a short cartridge in a long action, is that you can load the bullets as far out as benefits the round. Not all bad, for sure.
Can't do that with Tikkas unless you change out the magazine and bolt stop, both which work together to keep shortaction rounds to about 2.8".

I can't stand the stock, it just does not fit me well at all. It's too hollow feeling, and it feels way more cumbersome then it needs to be. I also don't like the one size fits all action, but that's a moot point if you're getting a long action caliber.

There's no doubt it'll shoot though, and they seem to have really nice triggers for a factory rifle.

Seems like they fixed everything I don't like about the T3 with the A7, but then the price point is high enough that at that point I'd rather just get a Kimber. I do wish I would've jumped on one of the 600 dollars A7's when the first year models were on sale.

I think the stock has been mentioned once or twice as well as the addition of a sims pad to take some of the "snap" out. The supplied rings suck so you will want to go with a set of leupold bases and rings. The mags cost around $60 and are a poly but are very tough and feed well. It's a shrouded, one size fits all action but locks up tight with even wear on the two lugs. Trigger is simple and easily adjusts. Overall I really like the few that I have. I would hesitate to buy another, especially for a good price.

It's starting to sound less like the 'deal' I was looking into. Granted, I appreciate accuracy as well as the next hunter, but I have learned from many, many aching muscles, blood shot morning eyes, and grumbling belly that accuracy does not a punched tag make, alone.

The number of con's concerning the stock and LOP bother me, as well as the repeated recommendation of an added recoil pad. I can take a punch off the bench with the best of them, but Why if I don't have to?

The scope mounting system is another.

Finally, I'm simply a claw extractor fan. I have a couple of plunger style rifles and none have failed me, but I'm more confident in the claw. May be just my military background.

So, I guess I'm gonna pass on this T3, even though it's in the hard to find cartridge really want.

Anybody know where I can pick up a Ruger, or Win 70, short action ?

If you haven't held/fondled one of them you aren't going to know how the stock fits. The recoil pad is a quick easy swap, but not necessary depending on the cartridge.

what caliber is the one your looking at? if you can get it for the right price you should be able to flip it fairly easily if you don't like it.

I have one in .270 i should change the recoil pad on it but havent yet. I love it but like everyone says the stock has a cheap feel to it. Once you get past that its a great rifle to shoot. It will be my back up rifle on my upcoming elk hunt.

I have a T3 7mm08 and love it. Hunts all year round and is very reliable. As said above the top seller in New Zealand, where the key criteria is value for money and reliability.

I put a muzzle brake on my tikka, now my 90 pound son shoots the gun kicks less that 243. Best 125$ ever. After a long day I like carrying a light rifle. One shot kills no tracking on every deer. but you have to have ear plugs.

From a mechanical standpoint, the Tikka is one of the best designed rifles ever made by anyone. It comes from almost a century of building military and safari grade rifles and world class shotguns.. Look into the history of Tikka and Valmet. You'll find some suprises. From an accuracy standpoint, you'll not find more precision forged barrels or better material at twice or thrice the price. If claw extractory is your only hang up, then Sako is not the answer as they use a similar extractor and ejoector. IMHO, which involves several years of gunsmithing and rifle building, you'll not find a better buy than the Tikka. If you can afford more and want something different, that's one thing, but don't walk away from it if you are looking for an accurate, well made piece of precision equipment.

I broke in my new T3 ultra light 270 stainless at the range this weekend. It shot sub 1" groups at 100 and 2" groups at 200, straight out of the box. A quality vortex scope and someone at Cabela's who did a damn fine job on the bore-sighting probably helped.

I would definitely recommend this gun to anyone. No complaints.

Back