Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Hunting gloves?

npaden

Okay, back from an unsuccessful elk hunting trip in New Mexico with some pretty good rain falling several different days.

Pretty impressed with how my rain gear and everything else held up, except for my gloves. They aren't really labeled to be waterproof or anything so I'm not disappointed in their performance, but it made me wonder what everyone else is doing for gloves.

I've been wearing one of Sitka's base or core layer gloves as a liner and then a pair of their traverse gloves if it gets colder. If it is really cold I just wear my black ski gloves.

Kuiu has their guide gloves on sale right now and I'm debating on buying a pair. I realize they aren't waterproof either, but curious if anyone has any experience with them.

Was a weird combination of rain/sleet just above the freezing mark this past week and it was probably the only time I would actually need some waterproof gloves, so not sure I need to run out and buy some or not.

When I'm hiking I would probably be good with just wearing the Sitka core gloves and letting them get wet and then getting them dried back out quickly, but sitting in the rain and wind sometimes they aren't enough.

Would like to hear any comments from folks that have figured out the glove situation.

Thanks, Nathan

I use Simms Glommits. Polartec fleece and wind resistant. Not waterproof, but hydophobic to a great extent.

I like the KUIU guide glove for general wear and a merino liner for when it gets a bit colder. I know Jason is a bit over the top with his "ingredients" list, but I really do like the leather on those gloves.

After two years they are still pretty water resistant. They are susceptible to having water soak through the seams though like if your rifle is wet and you are handling it. For this, since I was already using their system, I bought the Yukon glove for a true waterproof layer. I typically run a thick merino (ice breaker) glove under the yukon for when it is nasty. In most conditions the guide and merino liner get me by.

Outdoor Reasearch has several tactical gloves. Type "coyote" in the search field on their homepage and it will bring up all the items that should work. Some are water proof some not, but they have a good selection and some of them seem to be on close out.

For me just under armor liners most of the time, waterproof ski gloves if it gets cold or wet.

I've been very happy with the gloves I've used over the last 8-10 years. They are all but waterproof and tough as nails. I buy a pair of untreated all-leather work gloves. Buy them so they are just slightly too big. Next step is to get your hands on a block of wax. Pure wax. Craft stores often have them in the candle making section. Third step, is to melt the was into the leather. I do this with my wife's hair dryer. I coat all exterior surfaces. Do not put your hands into them while treating them, it BURNS! Really. Once they dry they'll be quite stiff and take some time to break in, but once broken in I really like them. I've only used 2 pairs of gloves that I treated over the last 8-10 years. They are TOUGH! I did lose one glove and had the stitching pull out on the second pair, but fortunately they were opposite hands so I'm still in business. I can hold a puddle of water in the palm without it socking through.

I tried treating a pair with Nikwax like I use on my boots. It was better than nothing, but way short of using just melted wax. If it's too cold for just these I wear of pair of rag wool gloves over them. One pair I use has the fingers cut off.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wyohandscold
Back