Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Dear Outdoor TV Part II

Sabot

I've always believed that if you are going to bitch, you better be ready to offer some solutions too. This thread is dedicated to what is RIGHT with outdoor TV and what we all would like to see more of. I'll start:

1) Failure - That's right, I really enjoy seeing the suspense of a good hunt that doesn't pan out. Some of my favorite episodes of OYOA are the ones that end without a kill. We can all identify with eating a tag or missing an animal far more than we can with the presentation that it only takes 20 minutes and a few commercials to kill a deer. These hunts build character and keep you coming back.

2) Old men hunting - Yes it's a young man's game, but we learned it from the old men, and I thoroughly enjoy seeing episodes where the host works to give an old guy a special hunt. Team Elk had one recently where they took one of the founders out.

3) Camp scenes - we all love camp nearly as much as the hunt. Mix in some fireside banter.

4) Bloopers - some really funny stuff happens. We enjoy your misfortune in high def.

5) Tips and tricks - beyond promo of the clothing or knife sponsor which we know you have to do, give us that little trick that you pull out of your ....hat....when nothing else seems to be working.

Variety! There is no written rule that the host(s) have to be the ones hunting or shooting. OYOA and Fresh Tracks have definitely gotten this one Right! Also Variety in they Game and Locations. I don't necessarily want to watch a show for the same 13 hunts year after year. Much less 13 episodes of Whitetials in Texas, or 13 episodes of Pigs... I honestly think (if they could find the willing people with the right tags) that 13 episodes of Mtn Goats would get boring after a while, but maybe that's just me...

Scenery and experience. We all know that there are certainly days where you just take the rifle for a nice walk. I enjoy shows where the scenery and experience of a hunt show through as much as the hunt itself.

Passion. In both OYOA and Fresh Tracks you can tell that there is a Definite Passion for the Outdoors, Wild Game, Wild Places and sharing the experience with others. All things I enjoy seeing in an outdoor show.

I'm a fan of showing what it takes to actually make a hunt happen. The planning, looking over maps, even the few times I've seen on a show before of the hunter getting permission to hunt some private property. Also time lapse stuff, love it when a camera is set up pre sunrise and you watch the day go by from camp while the guys are off hunting.

I like it when the hunter/s explain why they went to this specific ridge in search of their quarry. Teach me the biology/sociology of the critter we are after, and then I can adapt that info to my specific situation two states over from where your hunt took place.

I also am impressed with the real heartfelt backstories behind the hunt. An example would be the Fresh Tracks antelope hunt 5 (!!!!!) days after a coronary blockage occurred.

I'll add one: The RECOVERY PROCESS

Show at least some of the shot follow-up and tracking/recovery (if applicable) and explain the shot entrance and exit, blood trail, animals reaction, etc. I'm sure there are many who could learn something from including this. Not every kill is perfect, and its ok to show that rather than do a cover-up operation.

Its really annoying when TV hunters proclaim a great shot yet you could see it wasn't, then they just cut to the hero shot of the hunter with animal.

I want to see Rutger Hauer host a show called "The Most Dangerous Game"

He'll hunt what's left of Ice T's career.

I think this goes to show how different viewers have different preferences. 60% of the items on your list of "what is right" are on my list of "what is wrong". I can't stand it when they show a bunch of bloopers, practical jokes and sitting around camp scenes. I can catch that watching AFV if I want to laugh. I can also do without the old men hunting although I know lots of folks enjoy that.

Planning, discussing strategy, looking at sign, etc. are things that some shows include that I really enjoy watching. Variety was mentioned already, but I just can't comprehend how people watch the same old whitetail deer show with folks sitting in a tree stand or turkey hunts over and over and over. There must be 1,000's of these shows with different "actors" out there by now, most are just sitting where every they were told to sit by an outfitter. Seeing a variety of hunts and a variety of aspects of those hunts are what make a good show to me. Even meateater went through a few episodes lately where it seemed to be more along the lines of a cooking show than an hunting show. Keep the variety going and you'll probably keep me interested.

Thank you hunting shows for increasing my vocabulary. Ex. Now instead of telling my wife that I saw a couple of my buddies while out this morning while killing time before coming home, I'll now tell her that "I encountered a couple buddies while out harvesting time before backing out and heading home". I just feel smarter now!:confused:

Though it a bit of small game and bird hunting! IMO this adds to the variety and takes many of us back to our roots. I know when I drive out west or head to my cabin here I'm almost always packing a .22lr or shotgun for that wayward squirrel, rabbit, or grouse.

Since I "complained" in part 1, I'll throw in something for part 2:

Seeing the torch passed and watching the young ones hunting. That fresh / true excitement when shooting a small buck brings me back to my youth hunting days.

Watching the host step out of his "host" role and become a real person. It helps viewers connect to that show (in my opinion).

I like when shows show the cutting up and packing out of the animal. It's a necessary part of the hunt, and to leave it out is to miss a big part of the whole process.

I also like when public land shows show that they are running into other hunters and how those hunters may be affecting their plans - cuz' that's how it really is.

Bring back kill shots. The industry has completely surrendered to hawking and pc'ness.

...I know, I know

Ethics. I don't like it when there is an example of bad ethics, but I REALLY enjoy it when there is an example of good ethics. Example: Randy passing a bull that was close to being on private property and punching his Alaskan Black Bear tag cuz he wounded one and didn't find it.

Congrat Scene. I hate it when they jump around and act like a bunch of little kids on Christmas morning. I would like them to give a heartfelt handshake, hug, etc. But don't go overboard.

The Trail/Route. I love it when they give you the camera shot of the trail or route they are going to take to get to where they are going to hunt and then back when then get there. Gives you a little perspective. It also separates the men from the boys. Pretty hard to include this shot when the ATV drives them up to the stand.

Other Critters. A little bit of video coverage of other animals and birds is fantastic! We all love to see that stuff-- show us! I don't need 8 minutes of a grouse or a doe mule deer, but I really would enjoy 5 seconds of it.

I think this goes to show how different viewers have different preferences. 60% of the items on your list of "what is right" are on my list of "what is wrong". I can't stand it when they show a bunch of bloopers, practical jokes and sitting around camp scenes. I can catch that watching AFV if I want to laugh. I can also do without the old men hunting although I know lots of folks enjoy that.

Planning, discussing strategy, looking at sign, etc. are things that some shows include that I really enjoy watching. Variety was mentioned already, but I just can't comprehend how people watch the same old whitetail deer show with folks sitting in a tree stand or turkey hunts over and over and over. There must be 1,000's of these shows with different "actors" out there by now, most are just sitting where every they were told to sit by an outfitter. Seeing a variety of hunts and a variety of aspects of those hunts are what make a good show to me. Even meateater went through a few episodes lately where it seemed to be more along the lines of a cooking show than an hunting show. Keep the variety going and you'll probably keep me interested.

Was going to comment on the *old men hunting*, but will just wait until you are at that point in your life.

Don't get me wrong, some of my most memorable times with my dad were hunting together when he was in his 70's. Great memories.

It's just not must see TV for me. As someone else mentioned, watching a kid shoot their first deer or something like that is a lot more enjoyable to watch for me than someone's Grandpa shooting their 50th. Others have different preferences I'm sure.

I will say that the cinematography has grown in leaps and bounds in the last 5-6 years. Hunting shows used to look like they were filmed on hi-8. Some shows overdo the scenic time lapses and up close emotional shots, but for the most part they've added a lot to the genre.

It just seems like there's four or five really top notch shows then a HUUUUUUGE dropoff to everything else. Those top shows are really awesome though.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Trapper330
Back