Caribou Gear Tarp

Lucky 7

Family hunting trips are the best !! Enjoy each other's company while you can. Be safe and good luck.

Finally getting some time to get to the hunt. It was a great time and opportunity. Not too many folks get to do a 3 generation sheep hunt. My dad did great considering the terrain and lack of sheep early on. As with any sheep hunt it was a doozy with lots of climbing and descending, rain, sun and lack of water. Here are some picts to start it off.

Starting to climb. Not sure how you can train for this kind of terrain down here in the lower 48. The part I hate the most is this boulder hiking in the creek bottoms. It's the "easiest" way to gain some elevation in the beginning. It's an ankle breaker.
alaska 2014.jpg

alaskamountains.jpg

alaskamtn.jpg

Last edited:
We finally made it to the top after 5 hours. I realized real quick that the little hiking I'd done to prepare wasn't enough but luckily we had gained our elevation and we were in a good spot. It began to rain the last 2 hours of the hike and and the wind picked up. I hate hiking in the rain because of the sweat factor.

Having been to this spot before we knew that we had no water up top but do to the rainy year the ground was like walking on a water bed in some spots. I hollowed out a hole the night before to see if we could catch some water and it worked. The 2 dirty ones are from the next day in hopes that by the end of the day they would clear up enough to filter.
alawater.jpg

We need some laundry to dry after all the rain on the way in.
alasocks.jpg

My brother left, dad, me and my son Tyler. What an accomplishment for my dad to make it up this high.
Alaska 3 gen.jpg

Attachments

• backpackala.jpg
    backpackala.jpg
    163 KB · Views: 1,157
The next day provided great weather and as the clouds lifted from the valley we spotted 5 rams feeding up to a rocky perch. Looking from 3/4 mile away had us thinking we might have a legal ram. He looked close. We made the sneak all the way over to him only to have the curl get to the top of his eye. He was a beautiful ram but not worth risking ring counting to shoot. Bummer we hiked back up to the top having lost 1/3 of our elevation again. My dads legs are shot after the long hike in and now this jaunt to check the rams out.
We spent 1 more night over in this area but weren't seeing sheep. We did however see a group of rams on another mountain and with 3 more days to hunt thought we should go back down to the valley and get a closer look.

My dad thinking what the crap. We have to leave this mountain and go to another?
alaska drop.jpg

Cool late night shot of our camp out on this perch. Only spot without rocks.
alaska tent.jpg

The rams are on the top third of that far mountain in the back. We don't know if any are legal but it's our only hope for the last 2 days. We begin the drop. Sheep hunting is nuts!
backpackala.jpg

Nice pics so far! Love the terrain. The Anchorage airport has plenty of spots to stretch out and sleep. Especially if you are really tired!

We get to the bottom eat some lunch and make a game plan. We are confident we can get close to the sheep but decide that we better take our tents and some food just in case we need another night to get closer. We made it up to them but they are 800 yards away. What a sight though seeing 17 rams with multiple rams being legal. The wait begins as we hope they will leave their rocky perch to come eat closer to us. Unfortunately the rain sets in and they don't move to far. We ended up staying the night by them. Hopefully in the morning they will feed closer. We have no cover to get closer to them.

alaska 2.jpg

Waiting out the rain storm.
alaskaraintent.jpg

Another fun route into the high country. It's hard to describe how difficult it is to walk on this stuff.
alaska 4.jpg

The next morning found the sheep up and feeding but they were feeding away from us. We had to wait for them to feed up and over another saddle into another canyon before we could move. Once out of sight we dropped down and then up the steep saddle. We found them feeding down in the canyon and after a long belly crawl and back slide we made it out of sight of the rams. We closed the distance to as close as possible and my dad made a great shot. He was so excited and after 4 days of hiking all over the mountains he admitted that he'd had his fill of this sheep hunting stuff. It was a great time with family and a special time with my son. Sheep hunting up there is one of the most physically challenging hunts I've ever done and to have experienced that with my dad and son is priceless.

Dads 10 year old ram
alaska 5.jpg

Giving the new Sky pack a try with meat.
packout.jpg

Last edited:
My brother left, dad, me and my son Tyler. What an accomplishment for my dad to make it up this high.
View attachment 42713

attachment.php

What an adventure and a picture that should be handed down. Congrats on the hunt.

What a great hunt. Glad to see you taking advantage of the opportunity. I can't believe it has been that many years already. Great ram for your dad. Looking forward to your full report on the Sky.

Every one of you were blessed to have spent such an adventure with each other. How many can say that three generations of their family went sheep hunting together? That's a bond rarely seen these days. That's the true "trophy" I see while reading this awesome thread. But I have to admit, that's a great ram! Congratulations to your dad and the rest of the group.

Super!! That is one for the all time memory vault. Congrats.

PS- This Tyler is jealous of what your Tyler has gotten to do...

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back