Fish-tastic!

Big Sky

I have been under a tremendous amount of stress the last month, and it was high time for some serious fishing therapy. My wife and I needed a little time away from everything as well. So I talked her into jumping into the pick up with me and we headed to a friend's place up in the mountains Saturday afternoon.

My wife was the first one on board with this really nice brown trout.
TerriAdams8-30-14A_zps1d403ca8.jpg

I was next up to bat with this little rainbow. We caught about a dozen fish before they quit biting.
Troy8-30-14A_zps3ef90982.jpg

The bite eventually slowed down so we moved to another area. I couldn't believe it when the first fish my wife landed was this brown! Sheesh, I've been trying all summer to get a fish like this out of this area, and she gets it first try. I think the fishing God's just like pretty girls or something. At least I think she looks great especially for someone in her mid 50's.
TerriAdams8-30-14C_zps8396c08b.jpg

I tried my best to keep up but I couldn't find a brown to save my life. The best I could do was these two rainbows. It was a darn good evening overall. We caught quite a few fish, but I only posted the better one's. Most the fish we let go without taking them out of the water. I know, I know it's better to cradle the fish horizontally for photo, but the fish weren't having it. They were just to cotton pick'n strong to hold onto most of the time. Besides, I didn't go fishing to cradle fish. I went there to get my mind off the past month and this quick trip helped in that regard very well. :)
Troy8-30-14B_zps23a502e3.jpg

Last fish of the night.
Troy8-30-14C_zpsb0d2479d.jpg

My 3rd oldest son saw how much fun we had and conned me into taking him this morning. We never hooked any browns but we really got into the rainbows. I think between us we land 25 to 30 fish. I'm just taking a break long enough to post a few photos, have a bbq with my family, and then head right back out to try to catch an evening bite. Definitely on a Fish-A-Thon this holiday weekend.

My son with his first fish of the day. Nice fat little bugger. (The fish, not my son.)
Cayden9-1-14A_zps044486c2.jpg

I was lucky enough to land this one soon after.
Troy9-1-14A_zps45982017.jpg

My son with his biggest of the morning.
Cayden9-1-14C_zpsf92ae745.jpg

I can't get over how healthy and fat these fish are. They were all between 18" to 20" but just thick and fat as footballs. Now before some self righteous pompous fool starts posting about fishing on private land, let me address that right now. Yes, it is private. No I don't have exclusive rights. No, it is not lightly fished. In fact it has nearly as much fishing pressure as the public land around here. For years I didn't fish it because I heard the fishing was really tough. When I finally did break down and try it, it was tough. Eventually I figured out what the fish were eating and my success rate has been very good. I don't want this to sound like bragging, but most folks that fish here don't do all that well. It took me a while to get it figured out. It's like any fishing or hunting. Those that put in the time usually enjoy the benefits. While the owner doesn't let everyone on. He does let most decent folks, that ask politely, and behave themselves on his place. In fact as we were leaving a grandfather and his grand daughter (in her early 20's) arrived. I thought it was great they were planning to spend the day together fishing. Then again most of us know it's not really just about the fishing.

One last pic and then I'm out'a here. Might go hit the creek. I hear some fish calling my name and dang it I wanna land a brown or two before the sun goes down. Tight lines to everyone.
Troy9-1-14B_zps03b104c1.jpg

Nice fish and write up. I'm sorry to hear about your added stress. Take Care bud.

All that stress..okay..after a summer break of fishing.My wife is a teacher,usually the stress begins after the first day of school.:) Nice looking private water fish.Big heads on those Browns.

All great looking fish! I don't know how many people are in your family, but I know I've been jealous of a lot of them this year. I could sure use some of that therapy you've been enjoying lately.

I'm starting to not like you. Or your family. ;) It's really just AZ that I don't like anymore.

Awesome fish. Fish the heck out of that private land. I would. As you said, "it's not just about the fishing" but when piggies like that are biting, it sure doesn't hurt either. Thanks for sharing!

Devil Diver Down, I grew up all my elementary years in Arizona. There was some pretty darn good fishing. Granted the trout fishing was limited, but bass, bluegill, and catfish were pretty easy to find. On a different note you guys do have some of the best predator hunting in the nation. If I were still down there the local fox, coyote, and bobcat population would hate me. :D

Jealous, man that's a nice brown and the fattest rainbows Ive seen in awhile, excellent congrats on what looks like a too much fun!!

Congrats! Now that's a way to help relax and reduce some stress. Forget the stress ball squeezers! Seriously, very nice fish!

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mttedoc
Back