Arizona quail

Gellar

A high school friend and his father invited me to tag along to visit another high school friend who is a border patrol agent in Arizona. We are going in January and they want to bring their dogs along to try some quail hunting. We do not have many quail in NE Iowa so I am curious as what to expect. I have hunted bobwhites, but not gambrels and scaled quail. My friend is stationed in Nogales, but we will be willing to travel a reasonable distance to hunt. Thank you for the help!

Nogales area you should find Gambel's and Mearn's.

I got these in the same area just north of Nogales.
Old pics, I did not shoot them today......have to clarify so AZGFD doesn't call me because someone "turns me in" :mad:

Attachments

• IMG_1983-20%.JPG
    IMG_1983-20%.JPG
    131.9 KB · Views: 673
  • IMG_0372-25%.JPG
    IMG_0372-25%.JPG
    177.3 KB · Views: 566
Haven't quail hunted in Arizona in quite a few years, but I can say it is definitely worth you time. Southern Arizona offers you a chance for scale, gamble as well as Mearns quail. All will act a little different when the dog goes on point, with gamble being more likely to run out from under a point and Mearns quail holding so tight that you have to practically step on them before they explode straight up in front of you. The desert can really do a number on your dog. Everything that grows in the desert has thorns and stickers on them. Make sure to carry a comb with you to help take off the chunks of chola cactus which your dog is sure to come across during the days hunt. Bring plenty of water for both you and your dog and have fun.

I'd suggest you pick the species you want to shoot the most and hire a guide for a day. I did that for Mearns back in February and thought it was money well spent. It will also give you an idea of what type of terrain/vegetation to find them in when you go on your own. FWIW...

Watch for rattlesnakes and little people with huge bales of something on their backs. There are lots of quail here and fun to hunt. Good boots good to go. I always carry a sidearm just in case. Have fun.

4 of us are leaving tonight. I am driving to St Louis after work to meet up with the other 3 and than we are off! Hopefully we make it to Arizona to watch the Packers game on Sunday! I have hunted out west and in Alaska, but never in the high desert like this. It will be a learning experience that I am looking forward to!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back