Looking for Pack suggestions?

35whelen

I'm looking for a back country pack? I have looked at Eblery stock and Stone glacier. Any reviews and other suggestions.

If you look at the Eberlestocks, stay away from any of the models that have the gun scabboard sandwiched between your back and the main compartment. It creates too much "slop" in the load and pushes the weight out from your back. I have a J107 Dragonfly sitting in my garage, and now use a Mystery Ranch Crew Cab or Longbow.

I too was looking at pack info and scoured 20 or so pages (on this site) and got a descent idea about different pack reviews. One brand I didnt find hardly any info about was...... TENZING. Whats the general consensus about them??? The packs look descent, but do they perform in the real world?? Just curious.

There are many extensive threads relating to packs on this site you could dig up and take a look at. That being said I am partial to mystery ranch.

If you look at the Eberlestocks, stay away from any of the models that have the gun scabboard sandwiched between your back and the main compartment. It creates too much "slop" in the load and pushes the weight out from your back. I have a J107 Dragonfly sitting in my garage, and now use a Mystery Ranch Crew Cab or Longbow.

I love my j107, that "slop" tightens right down with the straps and like having the scabbard when hiking/climbing and carrying heavy loads so I can have both hands free for leverage. with my torso many packs aren't comfortable but the eberlestock is except its so heavy but everyone likes their own things... make take a few try's but you will find what you like too.

One brand I didnt find hardly any info about was...... TENZING. Whats the general consensus about them??? The packs look descent, but do they perform in the real world?? Just curious.

I suspect most hear are more intensive users of their packs than what Tenzing is built for. Probably a fine pack for the intended use, but not in the league of the packs you see mentioned in far more detail on this site.

To the original post, as some have stated, there are many really good options. Those options get discussed regularly on this site.

I personally use Mystery Ranch packs. I bought my first two before the TV show started. I don't get paid a dime to use them in the show, as is the case with many products you see us using. I bought them and continue to use them because they work great for the applications I need them for.

I've been approached by other pack companies with offers to pay me to use their packs on the TV show. I politely declined, as their packs are not even in the top five brands I would consider.

There are some top-end options, most of which have morphed to hunting applications from the mountaineering, military, or wild land fire fighting world. If you stick with the a top-end pack that gives you the best fit, most comfort with heavy loads, and invest once, odds are you will be happy for years to come. Especially happy when you have a big load to carry through the mountains.

Back packs are like shoes. They fit everyone differently what works for me may not for you. Check out as many brands and styles as you can find locally. Try your friends on. Check your torso length and buy one that fits you. Your back will thank you. The upper class packs are pricey mystery ranch, Kifaru , stone glacier and EXO for a reason they are worth it ! Lots of good deals on used if you check some of the forum classified adds Good luck !!

I was able to check out a lot of packs recently. Mystery ranch, kifaru, kuiu and stone glacier are very nice packs. I took a gamble and pre-ordered an Exo-Mountain 3500 pack and I was really impressed. This pack easily stacks up against the the rest of the top names. It also didn't hurt the pocket book too bad since I got a preorder discount. Invest in a good bag and it will last you many years.

I forgot to mention, I have an Eberlestock X2 and a tailhook. While I like these packs, they are not even in the same class of packs as Randy mentioned.

For internal, Kifaru is hard to beat unless you drop some serious coin on a McHale custom made pack. For external, Barney's pinnacle pack is what most Alaskan guides use.

I prefer the Mystery Ranch Metcalf. Go everywhere and pretty much do anything within 5 days. Super comfortable both loaded and not loaded down. Best quality in materials and craftsmanship that I have yet to see.

Check out the latest issue of Elk Hunter Magazine,Ryan has done all your homework for you!

Has anyone here tried horn hunter packs, I have a full curl combo pack and love it. They seem to be reasonably priced and made in the USA

The exo 3500 and 5500 are turning a lot of heads. Elknut is even runing one and said it is very nice ! They are new and hard to get. That should change after the season .

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sea Rover
Back