PEAX Equipment

Wisconsin Wolf Hunting

F

fwagner

I just found out today that I drew a wolf tag here in Wiscosin, without any preference points!!! Not sure I how I managed that but I'll take it either way. Been doing some research and have been looking over the last two years harvest reports. Looks like zones close pretty fast and most of the successful hunters used traps. I don't want to bother with traps so I will try my best to stalk/call one in. If anyone on here has hunted wolves in Wisconsin let me know, I will need all the advice I can get. Especially after watching Randy Newberg's wolf hunting episode, what a challenge!!

Good luck but very few are called in. Don't rule out traps and if you are going to spend a weekend out calling in areas that have wolf sign why not put out a set? What area did you draw??

With my tag I can hunt all zones in Wisconsin until they fill their quotas. Not a huge trap guy, not my style even though it seems to be pretty effective.

Talk to the hound hunters that are running bear now during the training season if there are any wolf's around they will know. I would get elevated when your calling so you can cover a bigger area. Be prepared to shoot quick they generally don't give you much time.

I have some property with wolves on it near Siren if you want to give it a try pm me.

Wolves hate coyotes. You can use this to your advantage when calling them. I know an outfitter in Ontario well that offers wolf hunts and he said that most of the guides up there have their best luck with coyote calls to bring the wolves in.

Fawn in distress calls mixed with coyote yips brought this 120 pound male in on a string when I hunted them in Minnesota in 2012. I believe the key is to make sure you are very close to the wolves before you start calling. I slept outside for the 3 nights before I got mine so that I could keep track of where the packs were and set up on them first thing in the morning.

PB070128.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Good luck, it's a fun hunt!

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back