Caribou Gear Tarp

Bear Meat Recipes - let's hear some ideas

Outdoor Junkie

Hey guys,

I've shot and ate more whitetail deer than most families do in a lifetime, but I've never cooked black bear. I make the elk/ whitetail in a lot of different things. I was wondering if anyone has experience cooking the bear in a similar manner. Some of my favorites are cubed up in chili, shredded in a slow cooker with barbecue sauce, Korean barbecue sauce or else with onion soup mix and cream of mushroom soup. BTW, the Korean barbecue sauce from Campbell's is pretty darn good for making Korean tacos.
http://www.amazon.com/Campbells-Slow-Cooker-Sauces-Roasted/dp/B00CSS42JM
Here is also another great one!
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Slow-C...event10=1&e7=Recipe Hub&soid=sr_results_p3i12

Has anyone on here ever made bear in similar recipes? Does the meat taste pretty good in chili or shredded similar to pork or beef?

I know I need to cook the meat completely, so I'm focusing on stews, soups, shredded recipes, etc.

If you have experience or any favorite recipes, please share! Season starts in 16 days, so with any luck, I'll be experimenting in a few weeks.

I appreciate any advice you can provide!
Chuck

Bear

The way I cooked my bear was basically your slow cooker recipe.( pulled bear sandwiches)
I cook it in the oven though at 350 until an internal temp of 180 degrees which is about 3-6hrs depending on your stove. Next time I will just slow cook it in the crock pot. I butterfly the roast and pour on liquid smoke..just a little bit though, then I dab on some Montreal steak seasoning and wrap it in three layers of foil and add just a bit of water to help keep it moist. Then, once the internal temp is reached I open it up and shred the meat and add a BBQ sauce and throw it back in the oven for maybe 10-15 mins to cook the sauce into the meat. My wife actually eats it and says it taste like a pulled pork sandwich from a BBQ joint.

-Brandon

My second favorite bear recipe......

Bear Stew (works with all game but bear is the best)

2 pounds bear meat cut in 1" pieces
1/4 cup flour
1 teaspoon marjoram leaves
1 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
2 tablespoons veg oil
1 can (16 ounces) whole tomatoes, undrained
1 cup water
1/4 cup white wine or water
1 tablespoon vinegar
1 onion, cut in half lengthwise and thinly sliced
1/2 cup choped celery
2 cloves garlic
bay leaf
2 big potatoes cut in 1" cubes

Pat the meat dry ( I learned this from the movie Julie and Julia ;)) then put the flour and seasonings in a bag and toss the meat around in it then brown it....add everything else except the potatoes. Heat to boiling then simmer for 1 hour

add the potatoes and bring to boiling then simmer another hour.

I usually double this and it is all gone the next day. The best stew I have made to date.

My favorite bear recipe and probably my favorite wild game recipe. Really popular with whoever is dinning with us at the time!

“Bear & Broccoli”
By Tiffany Haugen

Bear meat is among our favorite wild game in the Haugen household. There’s enough fat that it’s easy to cook with and also carries great flavor. The fact berry season is just around the corner means there will soon be some great eating bear meat to sink your teeth into.
True, we love our bear jerky, sausage and thuringer but we also like to highlight bear for dinner. It’s amazing how many guests, once they’ve tasted this dish, can’t believe it’s actually bear.
The secret ingredient in this tasty recipe is coffee. Coffee enhances the flavor of the meat and creates a rich, dark sauce. This quick stir-fry is also great with with deer, elk and antelope.

1 1/2 pounds bear, cubed
2 cups strong coffee
1/4 cup sugar
2 tablespoons peanut oil
1/3 cup shallots, thinly sliced
4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
1 tablespoon ginger, minced or pureed
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
1/2 teaspoon Chinese 5-Spice
2 cups broccoli, steamed

Marinate bear in coffee and sugar overnight. In a large wok or skillet, heat peanut oil on medium-high heat, stir-fry shallots and garlic 3-4 minutes. Add bear cubes and thoroughly brown, 5-8 minutes. Add ginger and continue cooking 1-2 minutes. Add remaining ingredients, turn heat to medium-low, cooking 20-30 minutes or until meat is tender. In a separate pot or container, steam broccoli and add right before serving. Serve with rice or soba noodles.

Bear meat question

Thanks guys for the feedback! I'll definitely try the bear meat in my standard crock pot shredded barbecue and chili recipes. The Bear Stew and Bear and Broccoli look awesome as well! I'm looking forward to trying these out soon !

A couple other questions. What are your thoughts on whether or not freezing kills trichinella in bear? I've read mixed reports on this. Also, anyone ever send their bear tongue in for trichinella testing? I saw that Steve Rinella did this. Just wanted to some thoughts on these things.

Thank for any input!
Chuck

I do not count on freezing to kill trichina. Always cook well and it shouldn't be a problem. I've never had any checked and to be honest I wouldn't treat it any different if I had regardless of the outcome.

Bear, trimmed of all fat tastes like a great steak with no strong flavor with just a little salt and pepper. No need to 'hide' the flavor or crock till it is mush. Reasonably tender if cooked with care and
not scorching.

My one bear experience anyway. Love it plain asa steak with not much on it.

Back