Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Gps?

naturebob

Didn't want to steal Bonecollectors thead, But I have never owned a Gps. Want to get one that I can put the chip in from diff. States for all the diff. types of land ownership to keep Me off private. I'm Old fashioned and not up on technology very good so I need something easy to figure out. I can read so I will eventually figure it out, but the more basic the better. Will be using it in western States, Mont., Wyoming, N.Dakota, New Mex. and AZ. Thanks for any help......BOB!

Bob,

Check out Garmin's Oregon 450t. I have used mine the past two years and love it. You can usually find a good deal online

I have had a Dakota 10 for a number of years and it is a good unit. I decided to up-grade so that I could get the chip. I went to the Garmin Factory Outlet store and got a Dakota 20 delivered for $129. It is just like the 10, only with more functions. I have not yet put the chip in it, but I like the unit's size and ease of use. If I get drawn for my trophy antelope hunt, I will try out the chip function.

I have a Garmin 62S that I really like. It doesn't have a huge screen. If it did, I would just be more apt to break it anyways, :eek:

I hope bob doesn't mind that I'm hijacking this thread but I am also new to the western hunting game. After reading quite a few post on hunt talk it looks like the next piece of equipment I will need to buy is a GPS that I can put a chip in to see public/private boundaries.

My question for you guys is what are the features/functions I should be looking for in a GPS? I looked at the Oregon, Dakota, and 62S online and to me they all look like the same thing. Which would you buy with a budget of $200? What about a budget of $300? Thanks

For a budget of 200 I would look at the Garmin etrex line. The screen is a little smaller than the Oregon, but you can still put a chip in it.

Thanks for the advice guys. Are there any features that are a must? Anything that would be a deal breaker to have/not have. Anything that I don't need or is a luxury? Is a touch screen more hassle than it's worth? After looking I might want to spend a little more, but I really like the looks of the Garmin 62S and the Etrex30. Any reason to get one over the other for the sole purpose of using it to hunt? (I don't really care about geocaching).

Garmin Rino

My brother and I have had Garmin Rino units for years. I really like them. They are more expensive than you had specified, but they are nice. They have the built in radios. When we are hunting together, when either one pushes the talk button it shows on your screen where on the map they are. It's nice for people who can tend to get a little turned around. The new units even have camera, and can text too. They all get NOAA weather radio. I think you might be able to get the older 530HX like mine for a little cheaper now since they are a little older version. The OnX Maps chip is the best thing ever too. I carry my GPS everywhere I go now. You can drive down a road with checkerboarded private/public land and can see exactly where you are, not to mention it shows the land owners' name which could lead to some nice private land opportunities if a guy gets lucky enough to get permission.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back