CO goat scouting

This is shaping up to possibly be another early winter! I hope my September 20th start date on my hunt doesn't result in too much snow problems!

Good luck man, ready to see some grip and grin pictures from up high on the mountain!

Sweet! next week we might start seeing some new goat pics! Good luck fellas!

Horse's days are numbered... Good luck buddy, stay safe.

Awesome pics. Looks like you had an awesome time. Good luck on your hunt.

First day was a rough one.

My entire backpack camp was stolen in a remote area of La Plata county Colorado around August 30th.

Please keep an eye out for:

1)- Spotting scope: Minox MD62 ED with 21-42 L.E.R. eyepiece. Model # 62212 Serial # 61000105.

2)- Vortex Ridgeline tripod

3)- Mountain Hardware 3 man tent

4)- Marmot Flathead 20 degree Long model sleeping bag

5)- Big Agnes Q-Core sleeping pad

6)- MSR Rocket stove

7)- Olicamp XTS cook pot

Authorities have been contacted.

This has really put a crimp in my mountain goat hunt.

Please keep an eye out at pawn shops, Craigslist, etc.

Cash reward offered.

Absolutely crazy. Hope you stick a big goat for some redemption and get some resolution on the stolen gear. Was it cached or did you have it all set up?

Anyhow....

Monday Labor Day, my son and I backpacked in to the spot to find my cached gear missing from the week before.

My son has a bag, pad, and tarp so he stays at camp while I head back out to contact authorities and get replacement gear.

I decide to hunt goats instead of my gear. I'll leave it at that. My attitude was in the crapper.

By 9pm I'm back on the trail heading in the 7 miles to camp. Again. Legs were feeling less peppy this time.

Tuesday Sept 2nd - opening day

A quick nap on my crap-ola Walmart sleeping pad gave me some energy to get up the mountain by daylight.

Billy showed up on queue.

Right off the left big toe you'll see a white dot.

It's Diego.

I decide to try and get in range.

I turn my jacket inside out and put on a white head mask. Goat ninja.

Within range I was.

I spent some time looking him over. Smallish body. Decent horns. Good hair. Yes, I'm totally going to stick him.

I try to find good footing so I don't fall....range him at 44 yards almost straight down and....he walks into a chute and disappears from my life.

I get back up top with some effort and both my son and I have some big grins.

Nice pic's. Sorry about your gear. I've had very similar experiences and it's not fun. Good luck on the rest of your hunt.

Tuesday afternoon the range maggots invaded the mountain again.

Go away. Nobody wants you here.

Tuesday night I fully realized how nice good gear is, and how crappy cheap gear is.
This stove and pot combo burned through 2 cans of fuel in 4 days. It takes forever to boil 2 cups of water.

Sleeping on those little closed cell foam pad adds about as much insulation and padding as a slice of Wonder bread.

Wednesday dawned bright and clear.

Jackpot. We found the two goats I wanted most. Horse and Old and Broken. Hanging out together on pinnacle.

These two are the kings of this mountain. Big heavy bodies.

Here is O&B.

I put my best sneak on them. It worked for about 4 minutes. They busted me.

Plan B.

We'd been tracking two billies that bed in cliffs (white spots on the left of the pic) and feed out into the green to the right of the pic every evening.

The wind was right, so we made a move. The stalk was going extremely well. I was going to kill the bigger of the two. Sure enough.

They came out of the cliffs on schedule. I was readjusting across a small boulder slide. The boulder slide cut loose and I scampered out with only a small injury to my thumb. My bow did not fare so well.

3 of the 5 arrows broken. Quiver bent like a pretzel.

What a downer.

Everything else on the bow survived with only scrapes.

The goats ran away.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back