What has hunting become?

The more you post after saying you're done shows not only that you are full of baloney, but also tend to stretch the truth just a little, LOL! PS: You may make money in your business, but your spelling sucks. Piers is where you walk and land a boat. Peers is what you meant and I seriously doubt that you got what you said or had a record day (maybe a record low, LOL!) and your last statement is about as lame as it gets, as if we are bad for hunting then how can it help your cause, whatever that may be? Right now your cause appears to be to make a jackass of yourself and you're doing an excellent job of that, LOL! Keep those LAST posts coming, as I see you're still on here ready to dig that hole a little deeper!!! 30 posts on one thread and none on any other has to break a record of some sort here! I'll catch more of your BS tomorrow, as it's midnight here and time to go beddy bye!

Sorry the few of you non giving back to conservation groups do nothing but make me sick. You are the ones bad for hunting and good for my cause.

You're making some pretty asinine generalizations here.

I don't care what your store grosses. I don't care what your website says. I don't care how big of a buck you kill.

I care about promoting and perpetuating the fair chase aspect of hunting and the North American model of conservation. Commercialization of the resource only serves to erode the North American model, and your reward poster falls right into that.

Go hunting and use your Governor's tag. And for heaven's sake, learn how to spell.

All you guys hiding in the closet of your computers call me you all have my number as it was on the add. Funny I haven't had one call from any of you but lots of calls from landowners wanting to help .And sorry my spell check doesn't work as good as yours I was hunting most the time during school so didn't do that good in spelling. Call me instead of posting guys .

Dude,
I have only read the last 10 posts and already am beginning to think you are a divisive personality. Your attitude and your spelling make you sound like you are 11 years old-that is a bad thing-I think we can do better.
Let's start over, we all enjoy the sport of hunting. We may go about it different ways however. We all promote conservation and perpetuation of the resource. We may go about it different ways however.
As ambassadors of our pastime we need to focus on what we can agree on and bring our group together rather than divide our team.
How about you start another thread with some pics of a past hunt and backstory so we can all see the side of you that, as brothers, we can all respect and enjoy?

Is that the dude with his "posse"? Why in the world would anyone want to call him after reading all his trash talking on this thread! The guy is obviously a game pimp to put up a poster like that and he's quite the spender when he has to take the animal before he makes the payoff to the finder, LOL!!! Talk about lame!!! Buying a Conservation Tag to support habitat is one thing, but this is taking it way too far!

Last edited:
Bounty hunting

Wow. As ususal when a controversial thread has been up for a few days it turn to mane calling and insults.
Someone putting up a bounty like that is no different than somebody who pays a guide or
outfitter who has 10 guys up in the hills all summer long finding trophy animals then simply
takes the hunter to the area where the animal is and just shoots it.
Both are legal just not to my liking.

Looks like that bull was hit a little far back. mtmuley
Also looks like it was hit in the shoulder. I'm certainly not going to defend Elkdude's bounty for "conservation" but there's no reason to bag on a guy because of where a bullet lands. I can think of a lot of scenarios where bullets strike in less than ideal places. In fact the last elk I pulled the trigger on was intentionally shot Texas heart style. In my mind completely justifiable given the fact that my hunting partner had already wounded the bull and we had tracked him over half a mile before jumping him. Personally, I'm a firm believer in shooting until an animal is down. I won't take a marginal first shot, but if I know I've hit an animal, I'm going to shoot until I see it go down.

Gerald, I saw that too. Wasn't bagging on anything. Darren is going to do whatever he wants. I don't agree with it but continuing to argue is pointless for both sides. So is forming an opinion of whether or not he is a good or bad person from internet perception. I'm not defending him, but in the end he is going to hammer a big deer whether we care how he does it or not. A bad attempt to lighten it up and move on I guess. mtmuley

Last edited:
I've been watching this thread for the last couple days.

May as well throw my thoughts in, since it seems most everyone else has.

First off, thanks to Tjones for bringing this forward. Its important that the average sportsmen in Montana and elsewhere understand how THEIR public wildlife is being "marketed" by increased commercialization, whio is driving the commercialization, and the potential problems associated with Governors/Commission tags.

A couple comments to Darren.

First of all, the wildlife that we all enjoy was a direct product of hard working, average American hunters, many millions of them. The hunters of the past cared enough about wildlife and the sport to conserve and protect wildlife from commercialziation, market hunting, etc.The abundant wildlife, both game and nongame species, was a result of conservation efforts funded almost entirely by license fees, self-imposed taxes on hunting and fishing, etc. These self imposed fees and licensing paid the entire freight for wildlife for many, many decades prior to the existence of a single Governors tag.

I find it pretty repulsive that you act as though the money you spend on Governors tags and outfitter fees is "saving" hunting and promoting the conservation effort.

Let me clarify also that many on this board are leading the charge in Conservation efforts, something you cant know since you joined the board a couple days ago to "justify" your unjustifiable add in a local paper. These guys spend countless hours at their State Legislature lobbying on behalf of wildlife and hunting, killing terrible bills, passing ones that benefit hunters and wildlife. Many take vacation days and time away from their lives to ensure tha Public Wildlife and Public Lands are preserved for future generations. Most are volunteers and not only are they not compensated, it ends up costing them money. Many also attend public meetings, meet with Game and Fish personel, and are in leadership roles in the many great conservation groups that are taking a stand for public wildlife, hunting, fishing, trapping, and the public lands that we all enjoy and use.

I would highly recommend that you, Darren, consider your actions and what they are causing. You think that because you buy a Governors Tag, you're the only person on the planet that is doing something for wildlife.

While I dont know the exact figures for MT's Governors tag program, I suspect that its similar to Wyomings. In Wyoming the GF operating budget is 70 million. All of the Governors tags (5 each of sheep, moose, pronghorn, deer, elk, and bison) bring in $500,000 to $600,000 a year. While it does allow some more research, etc. to be conducted, its not much money when compared to the 70 million that sportsmen provide through PR/DG funds, license fees etc.

Further, attitudes like yours are making hunters, State Legislators, and the GF agencies to really question whether the Governors tags are worth the piss poor attitudes and lack of ethics they seem to bring to the surface with many of the purchasers as well as outfitters that cater to same.

Instead of being confrontational and an a-hole, you should be thanking the general hunting public for allowing you the privilege of being afforded the chance to purchase a Governors tag. Its only by the graciousness of those that do almost all of the heavy lifting in conservation that you even have the luxury of buying a Governors tag. That privilege can be revoked by an organzied group of sportsmen at the drop of a hat. Want proof? Look to Colorado where the seasons have been shortened for Gov. tag holders. Ask MT oufitters how their OSL program went. Ask WY outfitters how ranching for wildlife and transferable landowner permits has gone for them.

I wouldnt be surprised at all to see Governors tags go the way of the dinosaur in some states, and it will be because of poor attitudes and the lack of ethics involved that causes the average hunter to lobby and pass legislation banning them. Perhaps this should happen sooner rather than later, and its not going to take much more bullchit like yours to push hunters, the legislators, and the GF agencies to do so.

Finally, while you're busy trying to break your arm patting yourself on the back about how much you do for wildlife by writing a check, this board that Randy provides has done much, much more. While I cant, and wont speak for anyone else, many of the people on this board have inspired me to be a better hunter, a better sportsman, and to get involved beyond writing checks and just buying licenses.

There is no other hunting board, anywhere, that you will find a more dedicated bunch of people that are doing more for wildlife, hunting, fishing, trapping, and public lands than right here...and thats a fact.

I'd suggest educating yourself about how the wildlife and lands you're hunting got here, who did the heavy lifting finacially, and who is ensuring the future of both.

Or...feel free to keep those velcro pants strapped on.

I've been watching this thread for the last couple days.

May as well throw my thoughts in, since it seems most everyone else has.

First off, thanks to Tjones for bringing this forward. Its important that the average sportsmen in Montana and elsewhere understand how THEIR public wildlife is being "marketed" by increased commercialization, whio is driving the commercialization, and the potential problems associated with Governors/Commission tags.

A couple comments to Darren.

First of all, the wildlife that we all enjoy was a direct product of hard working, average American hunters, many millions of them. The hunters of the past cared enough about wildlife and the sport to conserve and protect wildlife from commercialziation, market hunting, etc.The abundant wildlife, both game and nongame species, was a result of conservation efforts funded almost entirely by license fees, self-imposed taxes on hunting and fishing, etc. These self imposed fees and licensing paid the entire freight for wildlife for many, many decades prior to the existence of a single Governors tag.

I find it pretty repulsive that you act as though the money you spend on Governors tags and outfitter fees is "saving" hunting and promoting the conservation effort.

Let me clarify also that many on this board are leading the charge in Conservation efforts, something you cant know since you joined the board a couple days ago to "justify" your unjustifiable add in a local paper. These guys spend countless hours at their State Legislature lobbying on behalf of wildlife and hunting, killing terrible bills, passing ones that benefit hunters and wildlife. Many take vacation days and time away from their lives to ensure tha Public Wildlife and Public Lands are preserved for future generations. Most are volunteers and not only are they not compensated, it ends up costing them money. Many also attend public meetings, meet with Game and Fish personel, and are in leadership roles in the many great conservation groups that are taking a stand for public wildlife, hunting, fishing, trapping, and the public lands that we all enjoy and use.

I would highly recommend that you, Darren, consider your actions and what they are causing. You think that because you buy a Governors Tag, you're the only person on the planet that is doing something for wildlife.

While I dont know the exact figures for MT's Governors tag program, I suspect that its similar to Wyomings. In Wyoming the GF operating budget is 70 million. All of the Governors tags (5 each of sheep, moose, pronghorn, deer, elk, and bison) bring in $500,000 to $600,000 a year. While it does allow some more research, etc. to be conducted, its not much money when compared to the 70 million that sportsmen provide through PR/DG funds, license fees etc.

Further, attitudes like yours are making hunters, State Legislators, and the GF agencies to really question whether the Governors tags are worth the piss poor attitudes and lack of ethics they seem to bring to the surface with many of the purchasers as well as outfitters that cater to same.

Instead of being confrontational and an a-hole, you should be thanking the general hunting public for allowing you the privilege of being afforded the chance to purchase a Governors tag. Its only by the graciousness of those that do almost all of the heavy lifting in conservation that you even have the luxury of buying a Governors tag. That privilege can be revoked by an organzied group of sportsmen at the drop of a hat. Want proof? Look to Colorado where the seasons have been shortened for Gov. tag holders. Ask MT oufitters how their OSL program went. Ask WY outfitters how ranching for wildlife and transferable landowner permits has gone for them.

I wouldnt be surprised at all to see Governors tags go the way of the dinosaur in some states, and it will be because of poor attitudes and the lack of ethics involved that causes the average hunter to lobby and pass legislation banning them. Perhaps this should happen sooner rather than later, and its not going to take much more bullchit like yours to push hunters, the legislators, and the GF agencies to do so.

Finally, while you're busy trying to break your arm patting yourself on the back about how much you do for wildlife by writing a check, this board that Randy provides has done much, much more. While I cant, and wont speak for anyone else, many of the people on this board have inspired me to be a better hunter, a better sportsman, and to get involved beyond writing checks and just buying licenses.

There is no other hunting board, anywhere, that you will find a more dedicated bunch of people that are doing more for wildlife, hunting, fishing, trapping, and public lands than right here...and thats a fact.

I'd suggest educating yourself about how the wildlife and lands you're hunting got here, who did the heavy lifting finacially, and who is ensuring the future of both.

Or...feel free to keep those velcro pants strapped on.

Agreed!

I was out hunting lopes in the Beaverhead forest with my kids this weekend - Did I miss some Jimmy John look alike kill photos? I feel left out.

Asked my boy what he thought it would be like to win a MT supertag or be able to purchase an auction tag in MT, allowing you to hunt all the great places that you'll rarly get a chance to experience - and he said.. "That would be awesome!" Then I showed him the bounty ad and asked what he'd think if I did something like that.. He laughed and said, "I'd probably slap you right in the nuts Dad - sounds just like buying a super expensive wall decoration."

Kids say the damndest things..

They sure do and your boy was right on the button with his comment and obviously is being taught what hunting actually is by his Pop!

I see some people have started up an organized boycott of BVAC. I won't be buying any of their ammo since they are actively furthering the access issues we all face hunting in Montana. If I had wanted to hunt in Texas, I would have moved there. What the OP can't figure out is that he is bringing the Texas model of wildlife management to Montana and that is what has everyone irritated.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back