Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

OYO Silver salmon fishing in Alaska?

Paul in Idaho

I just returned from my first trip to Alaska. It was a work trip to Nome, so my opportunity for fishing was very limited. I am determined to go back to Alaska for a real fishing expedition, and am starting to plan now.

For a budget-conscious, completely on-your-own fishing trip focused on coho (or sockeye) salmon, what part of Alaska would you recommend? I wouldn't have a boat. So, I'd guess I'm looking for rivers that can be fished from shore or by wading.

I would prefer a remote area, not elbow-to-elbow fishing like the Kenai. I'm comfortable in a rough camp - all I need is something to keep the rain and bears away. I have heard about Forest Service cabins available for rent, and that would be a great solution for me.

Thanks.
Paul

edit: For anyone else looking for this sort of info - I just found this on the Alaska F&G site: http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm?adfg=ByAreaSoutheastKetchikan.fishingOpps&fishery=Coho Salmon

Last edited:
Yakutat has the Situk and Lost rivers and you can definitely get into 12 to 20 pound silvers all day long if you time it right. Mid September and go out for a half day halibut trip. Great halibut fishing as well. I would pay for a room at the Glacier Bear or the Airport lodge. You will also have to rent a beater truck to get to the rivers.

You can find decent fishing in Ninilchik and Anchor Point with a few less people than the Kenai and Russian. Another place that can be ok is Allison Point in Valdez.

Anchor river has great fishing early Aug... you can camp right on the river and do a half day halibut charter. You can also go into homer and fish the fishing hole on the spit I guess it was overflowing with silvers, jacks and kings this year.

Look at SE Alaska, late August. Fly in to a FS cabin in the Tongass.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NMArcheryCoues24
Back