need help in utah

meathunter1

hi im new here and was needing some advise.i didnt draw a tag in my home state of az,2 years in a row,so im looking into utah. ive never hunted out of state before,and im looking at a cow elk hunt(we need some meat for the freezer to hold us over).i was looking at the units around st. george or cedar city as im from northern az,trying to keep the cost fairly low.i see they have,landowner vouchers for cwmu. problem is i dont know what units these ranches lye in.ive been the utah game and fish site,a little confusing!any suggestions or help would be appreciated.

I have no idea about UT landowner tags, but depending upon where you are at in AZ, it might be cheaper to go to NM for antlerless elk hunts, or OTC Colorado bull tags.

Just a thought.

I believe each ranch sets there price on there cwmu tags but am not sure?I would think you might be able to do a cow hunt fairly reasonable,,,cant tell ya much more as ive not tried the cwmu or landowner voucher method.

Or possibly head North a little further and Hunt southern Wy late cow usually left over tags around pinedale and tags is under $300 you may save money driving rather than buy land owner/trespass fees. Around the feed grounds they dont seem to have much issue filling cow tags

Or possibly head North a little further and Hunt southern Wy late cow usually left over tags around pinedale and tags is under $300 you may save money driving rather than buy land owner/trespass fees. Around the feed grounds they dont seem to have much issue filling cow tags

That's pretty cheap. Are there usually a lot of leftover tags?

Just an FYI, Utah has not done their antler less draw yet. I think it's in June. You can put in for the draw and pull a decent tag.

+1

or you could buy a spike tag or do an archery hunt for spike or cow. Lots of areas in central/southern utah to find an elk.

There are lots of units where a NR can draw a cow tag pretty easy. The application period is in June and the proclamation should be out just prior.

I believe each ranch sets there price on there cwmu tags but am not sure?I would think you might be able to do a cow hunt fairly reasonable,,,cant tell ya much more as ive not tried the cwmu or landowner voucher method.
They only set their own price for the ones the sell. The ones distributed through the public draw have the price set by the State. IIRC, the CWMU cannot charge for tresspass or other fees for tags acquired through the draw.

thanks everyone,maybe ill put in for a cow tag and hope for the best.i also look into new mexico,ill keep you posted.by the way randy we love your show!

Try the Southwest Desert or Panquitch Lake units. It will take 3-4 years until drawing a cow tag. Traveling a little further north to the Beaver or Fillmore units would be good too. The Zion unit is mostly private and the elk are sparse and hard to find on public land so I'd stay away from that. I wouldn't put in for the Paunsagant unit either.

The application is due next month for cow. Spike and any bull tags go on sale soon too until sold out. One can hunt any of the limited entry bull areas for spike elk. The best spike elk hunt in my onion is the muzzle loader hunt. Its late in the year, not during any of the big bull hunts and few people do it. I hate to bother the hunters that have spent hard earned bonus points chasing spikes making their chance at a big bull that much harder. The UT DWR needs to seriously reconsider spike hunts during the big bull limited entry hunts.

I could possible help point you in a direction if you get a tag. PM me if you do.Good luck.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back