Montana Archery which week?

Montana Archery, which week?

• 9/13-9/20

Votes: 22 55.0%
  • 9/20-9/27

Votes: 18 45.0%

• Total voters

hearteater

Unfortunately, I can only get 1 week off this fall to get out to Montana to chase some deer and elk. Fortunately, I have 1 week off this fall to get out to Montana to chase some deer and elk.

Which week would you guys choose? 9/13-9/20 or 9/20-9/27?

Thanks in advance!

That's a tuff one! A lot depends on the weather. First thing I would do is check the moon. Stay away from the full moon. Other then that either week could be good. Hope you don't have my luck of you should have been here last week! Lol

It looks like the new moon will be the week of 9/20-9/27. Hopefully slightly cooler temps. The last week in September may have to be the week. Thanks again for the input guys!

Moon and temps.

I agree stay away from full moon. Then go on accuweather and check the historical weather data for last year to get a rough estimate of temperatures.

It also seems to depend on the general elevation of the area. I know areas in Montana where the elk rut later in the season because of the elevation, which is actually more likely a product of the weather being a little nicer still at the lower elevations areas.

But I agree with above posts, moon is a big factor.

My favorite time to hunt the "rut" in western MT is 2-3 days on either side of the 21st. I think before that the bulls tend to be less vocal buy more susceptible to come to a call, after that, more vocal and less likely to come to a call.

I'm hardly an elk expert, but that was my experience. I much preferred to limit calling and sneak in close when they give their location away.

Hunting during a full moon can be tricky, but the elk tend to move more during the day in my experience, and are more active in the evening than mornings.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rgreen
Back