Yeti GOBOX Collection

Rhino gps

Rino GPS

I have the 650 and have been very happy with it. It does have the touch screen, which I know my brothers don't like because they use the older ones without a touch screen and it takes a little getting used to after using the older ones. So that is just personal perference.

Personally I wouldn't bother with the 655. The only additional feature it has is the addition of a camera. I can't imagine the camera feature on it works as well as an actual camera and I know I always have a camera with me when I'm out trekking around.

I love the Micro SD card capabitlity and being able to put my own maps on it. I get mine from online for free. I shot my antelope two years ago and I wouldn't have gotten it without the GPS.

I have one of the old ones before the touch screen and like it. The radio sucks when the batteries get low though. Having the ability to put the SD card in is really nice and has helped me find public ground many times. Kinda fun to hunt with your buddies and see where they're at on your screen too.

If you were going to spend the money, which Rhino would you buy?

If you get one I would get at least one with the color screen. Not sure if they still make the ones with black and white or greyscale... But if you use the OnXMaps chip you want color for sure. I have a 520hcx and its great. Buddy has a 520. Dads got one of the new models although im not sure what one. They are awesome for keeping track of hunting partners and finding your way to each other.

I have the 650 and have been very happy with it. It does have the touch screen, which I know my brothers don't like because they use the older ones without a touch screen and it takes a little getting used to after using the older ones. So that is just personal perference.

Personally I wouldn't bother with the 655. The only additional feature it has is the addition of a camera. I can't imagine the camera feature on it works as well as an actual camera and I know I always have a camera with me when I'm out trekking around.

I love the Micro SD card capabitlity and being able to put my own maps on it. I get mine from online for free. I shot my antelope two years ago and I wouldn't have gotten it without the GPS.

Hey where do you get the free maps?

Thanks for all the info. How well do they work in the mountains? I would guess the radios would be line of sight. But how about seeing your hunting partners and sending text messages? Thanks again

Thanks for all the info. How well do they work in the mountains? I would guess the radios would be line of sight. But how about seeing your hunting partners and sending text messages? Thanks again

Not aware of them being able to send text messages from GPS to GPS unless the new ones have this capability. However, I have been about a mile away in the mountains and been able to talk to and allow my dad to locate me without having to relay a ton of info over then radio.

The newer ones do text. As I said before mine is a 650 and it texts. My brothers have an earlier version, not sure which one it is exactly and it texts also but unless you have the settings right on their version you have to actually be looking at the screen when the text arrives or you can miss it. It won't save the text.

Most communication about the actual animals during hunting season in Montana is not legal. But it is great to track your hunting buddies and for after you get one down. The best thing I think about it is if you are hunting with some people and start hiking around and end up chasing something somewhere you can walk to the nearest road or access and your buddies can come pick you up because they can see where you are without having to walk all the way back to the truck.

Free maps at http://gpsfiledepot.com/

They have lots of maps for Montana, including hunting boundary maps, which can be very useful. Although not sure about other states what is all available. You need to download the program to get the maps to work right, but there is a lot of info on the site about how to do that.

Not aware of them being able to send text messages from GPS to GPS unless the new ones have this capability. However, I have been about a mile away in the mountains and been able to talk to and allow my dad to locate me without having to relay a ton of info over then radio.

The 650 allows you to send short text messages from one unit to another. Both units have to be on and in range of each other in order for it to work.

The newer ones do text. As I said before mine is a 650 and it texts. My brothers have an earlier version, not sure which one it is exactly and it texts also but unless you have the settings right on their version you have to actually be looking at the screen when the text arrives or you can miss it. It won't save the text.

Most communication about the actual animals during hunting season in Montana is not legal. But it is great to track your hunting buddies and for after you get one down. The best thing I think about it is if you are hunting with some people and start hiking around and end up chasing something somewhere you can walk to the nearest road or access and your buddies can come pick you up because they can see where you are without having to walk all the way back to the truck.

Free maps at http://gpsfiledepot.com/

They have lots of maps for Montana, including hunting boundary maps, which can be very useful. Although not sure about other states what is all available. You need to download the program to get the maps to work right, but there is a lot of info on the site about how to do that.

Awesome. Learned something new today. And thanks for the link! :D

I have the 130, 520hcx, and my wife got me the 655 with the GPS maps card last year and I have loved them all in their day. I would get the 650 and spend the hundred bucks for the GPS maps card but I am lazy when it comes to computer stuff. There are things I liked about the 520hcx that I do not like with the newest model but if you are going from have not to have. You are in for a treat!

It is hard to charge these on long backpack trips as the only chargers I know about are the 12 volt and 110. There is not a USB adapter.

Do you have any specific questions about the Rinos?

I had one of the smaller units years ago. I never really used it for property lines just trails and waypoints but it worked very well. Had it stolen by another "hunter" and I use the term loosely. I used a newer garmin (Colorado, I think) to do some surveying and mapping for work and its very impressive the things gps can do today. I also got to use a gis system when I was mapping for south Dakota gfp and that stuff is unbelievable but a little intimidating when they tell you the price tag.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back