PEAX Equipment

WY elk are cooperative

Randy, You are a blessed man being able to elk hunt in those beautiful mountains with a good friend. I look forward to every new episode you produce and I can't wait to see this hunt, especially since I am somewhat familiar with the Wyoming mountains you hunt. Good luck with the season and God Bless. By the way I notice you often use your Howa .308 over all the new whizzbang supermags available. Just wondering why this caliber over your other calibers.

Randy, You are a blessed man being able to elk hunt in those beautiful mountains with a good friend. I look forward to every new episode you produce and I can't wait to see this hunt, especially since I am somewhat familiar with the Wyoming mountains you hunt. Good luck with the season and God Bless. By the way I notice you often use your Howa .308 over all the new whizzbang supermags available. Just wondering why this caliber over your other calibers.

Thanks for those kind comments.

As to the .308 as a weapon of choice, it is something I have "grown" into. I have two .300 Win Mags and they are great elk guns. But, they are heavier than a short action .308. Given where I hunt, that is of some relief.

Mostly, the .308 is more accurate than any .30 caliber cartridge I have shot. I have four rifles in a .308. They shoot remarkably well.

And lastly, for whatever reason that I cannot explain, the .308 kills things better than the ballistics say it should. Or, at least relative to the bigger .30 cal cartridges. I wish I knew why, but I don't. I just know that when it hits things, they die. Even big things like elk.

If you forced me to choose one cartridge for the hunting I do, it would be the .308Win, closely followed by its twin that I am growing so fond of, the 7mm-.08.

Probably not a scientific answer with much data to explain, but the truth of how I settled on this one. Don't get me wrong, there will be times when you see me toting my .300 Win Mag. Just not as often when I have a really nice, light weight, accurate, .308 Win at my disposal.

Thanks for the explanation. I'm a newbie to the site and just wanted to say thanks for a program I can watch with my kids, we look forward every week to the next episode

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back