Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Unit 12 Wyoming

bigdogg2278

Have a few questions maybe someone could help me out with my buddy and I, 2 flat landers are starting the prep work to try our first elk hunt hopefully for 2015. We are looking to do a cow hunt first just to get our feet wet, we were looking at the SW part of the state Unit 12 in the medicine bow forest. Looking at the stats it doesn't look like it get hit to much by non res more by the residents, a couple questions has anyone hunted in there before? Since it is a general area does that mean its a guarantee draw? If you guys think 12 is a bust any recommendations for another unit for first timers for cows? Thanks

this would have been a great year to be there, just got back from deer 79 (elk 11 i think) and seen tons of cows a a few bulls. ran into several hunters, those with elk tags were all in them. was a big mix of res/non resident that i ran into but for experiance you can do better than that area but is a easy area to learn in if you like dead timber.SE wyoming is nice with nice weather but if i have a general elk tag in my pocket i drive right past it! and usually it takes 1 pref point or a special license to get the general. if all you want is cows you may be able to draw a later season cow tag and hope for snow, if it happens you will have a great hunt and a exciting experiance.

Back