Yeti GOBOX Collection

Planning sitka blacktail hunt

Fishslap

I'm seriously considering a Sitka blacktail hunt for 2016.
-This would most likely be a solo hunt, so I'll probably be looking to go guided
-Not interested in score but would like an opportunity at a mature deer
-I wouldn't mind adding some fishing to the trip but would mainly focus on deer. Not that interested in adding bear.
-Not sure on seasons, coastal or alpine, boat based or land based. I think boat based would be interesting.
-Budget not a major issue but booking for one person might be a challenge
-Coming from Colorado. Experienced elk, mule deer, whitetail hunter. 36 and in decent shape.

Any recommendations for a hunt like this? I know there's a lot of info out there but I was hoping you guys might help narrow down some of the details or an outfitter.

Shaun

A lot of rentals on POW island.Either go in August for high alpine hunt,or rut in mid-Nov.You can do this hunt unguided.Most guided hunts I see are on Kodiak.The alpine hunt is a fun hunt and some awesome scenery.Fishing is excellent on POW
Getting to the alpine is not easy but worth the trip.The Nov rut hunt is a pretty easy hunt from all I've heard

i went with Homer Ocean Charters. you stay on the boat and they they take you to hunt but do not guide. they cook for you as well. We hunted Kodiak Island and had a blast. Killed some really nice bucks too. I would recommend this hunt. i believe that there is room for 6 people and they want you to hunt in pairs, so i would try to get a hunting buddy to go with you if not fill the boat with 6. It was a blast and will go back one day.
We went over thanksgiving.

A guide that I have working with in Alaska for the past 7 years just got his Registered Lic. and is guiding for Deer and Brown Bear on Kodiak. He has been hunting Kodiak for many years and I have seen many photo' of the bucks he and friends have killed. If this interests you let me know and I can put you in touch.

Thanks guys. I don't have any hunting buddies so that might limit me. It looks like most outfits that drop you off on Kodiak for semi-DIY require two people. Moosegut, thanks for the offer, it might be something for me to look into as it get's closer.

So it looks like Kodiak would require a guide, but POW I could do on my own.

By all appearances POW is infinitely more user friendly for doing it on your own. No guide needed on either.

I did a transporter hunt with Ninilchik Charters out of Larsen Bay in 2007. Great hunt and experience.

I did a fly in hunt on Etolin Island in October 2013. there a plenty of deer above treeline and lower on the island. I missed a real nice 4x4, but my partner killed an even nicer 4x4.

sorry no pics of the deer, but here's a shot from the highest peak on the mountain:
EAE820F2-48B4-463D-BB23-0257151F3052.jpg

I too highly recommend a transporter and not a guide. I went with a boat based transporter on Kodiak and had an okay trip (mechanical issues with the boats). That coupled with going at the very beginning of the season made it tough but doable. If I were to go again, I'd probably go later in the year and try to hit the rut.

I live and hunt on pow there are mountain tops where you can see 40 bucks easly just pick out the 4x4 you want and shoot. The hook is its a hard climb to the top. I talked to a fish and game person and he knows a mountain top he can guarantee a 100 bucks in one day, possible i guess, he had no reason to lie , iam sure he wanted to show me he was the better, but thats fish and game here. Lots of poachers, so they do have a hard job and they need to do it better. Poaching hurts all of us.

I could handle living on the island.I was actually looking into a cabin for sale there recently

I live and hunt on pow there are mountain tops where you can see 40 bucks easly just pick out the 4x4 you want and shoot. The hook is its a hard climb to the top. I talked to a fish and game person and he knows a mountain top he can guarantee a 100 bucks in one day, possible i guess, he had no reason to lie , iam sure he wanted to show me he was the better, but thats fish and game here. Lots of poachers, so they do have a hard job and they need to do it better. Poaching hurts all of us.

Hunted the island in September for bear and deer. Out of 6 hunters we saw one good buck the whole week. With that said 4 of us was spending a lot of time hunting bear. We hunted near Thorne Bay. Any pointers for a return trip?

If your hunting in sept. you have to go up, the bucks are on top at least the nice ones a few forkies down low and the dumb ones get killed in july, so up not just above the alpine line although you will start to see them there but on up to the top of the mountain, usually a 3to 4 hour hike if you can find a logging road up part way. They dont come down till rut. I live 10 miles out of thorne bay.

Oh yea, mixedbag if you are serious an start looking again i would be happy to help you understand the area and help you. No iam not a realtor, retired, home builder and former Marine, who has the time to help certain people.

I hunted on POW back in 2013 unguided in November when the deer rut up there and wow what a lot of fun just have to do your research going unguided is the way to go IMO

If your hunting in sept. you have to go up, the bucks are on top at least the nice ones a few forkies down low and the dumb ones get killed in july, so up not just above the alpine line although you will start to see them there but on up to the top of the mountain, usually a 3to 4 hour hike if you can find a logging road up part way. They dont come down till rut. I live 10 miles out of thorne bay.

We hunted as high as we could go and still were only seeing dinkers and does. I guess the rut is the time to go. Must be nice living on that beautiful island. Sportsmans Paradise! Hope I get to hunt it again. TY and Semper Fi

Place I was looking at was more of a vacation/recreational place for now.I could handle retiring there though that's for sure
Iwant to come out and hunt again this August up high.I now my luck would be better in the rut,but the alpine is just awesome.Problem was they had dropped into the woods off the alpine by the time we got out there in mid-Sept.A local biologist was telling me that once the cabbage wilted and turned brown, the deer head into the woods.Next time back I'll be there for the NR opener.You interested in showing me around some?I found a cheap cabin to rent but need to find a rental truck

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1st BDX Scope
Back