MT fwp License increase?

It's interesting that there is a proposed cap on the NR license fee at $999, which effectively removes the provision in I-161 to adjust the price annually based on the rate of inflation.

The issue of a cap was proposed by a member of the LFAC who has extensive experience marketing to sportsmen. He was very concerned 1000 dollars was a big psychological price and when reached many nonresidents would look to other states. There was also concern expressed that if the price continued to increase that the nonresidents that would drop out of the pool would be the less affluent DIY hunters increasing the percentage of well off nonresidents that are more likely to be willing to pay to play. The only argument against the cap was that it would remove the provision in I-161 which was a vote of the people. At the end of the debate it was decided that it was a small part of I-161 and there was little opposition to a cap of 999 dollars to the nonresident license.

Antlerradar

Last edited:
Why have a cap at all? If the NR hunters numbers drop off because the tags went over the $1,000 mark then the tag price would come down to offset this decrease in hunter numbers. It is the way it is set up and I don't see any reason to set a cap when we don't even know if it will ever get there??

John

Why have a cap at all? If the NR hunters numbers drop off because the tags went over the $1,000 mark then the tag price would come down to offset this decrease in hunter numbers. It is the way it is set up and I don't see any reason to set a cap when we don't even know if it will ever get there??

John

I think you are confused. The NR deer/elk combo license is nearly there already. The last time I bought one in 2013, I was over a grand by the time I purchased my archery stamp and paid CC convenience fees.

There is no provision to lower the price for unsold licenses. That was part of the guaranteed outfitter license pricing structure, but is not the case now.

Go back and read the text of I-161 and you will see the inflationary adjustment provision tacked on the to the base pricing. It has gone up every year since the initiative went into place.

Actually, I didn't really have any heartburn with that, other than the fact that it was not also placed on the resident license prices at the same time.

I didn't really have any heartburn with that, other than the fact that it was not also placed on the resident license prices at the same time.
That is a valid point, JLS. As a lifelong Montana resident hunter, I think residents are due for an increase in license fees to more equitably support FWP fiscal requirements. I usually purchase licenses and tags that I don't have time to use, with the intent of more equitably providing funds as a resident, so I strongly support this proposal.

That is a valid point, JLS. As a lifelong Montana resident hunter, I think residents are due for an increase in license fees to more equitably support FWP fiscal requirements. I usually purchase licenses and tags that I don't have time to use, with the intent of more equitably providing funds as a resident, so I strongly support this proposal.

As difficult as it was to swallow a 50% license fee increase, I thought that was a good idea. Sadly though, what was good for the goose wasn't good for the gander. Inflationary adjustments make all kinds of good sense in terms of down the road planning.

What are your license costs now?What ever happened to the block management stamp bill?I think normal inflation makes sense for the NR.When was the last resident price increase

Long time coming for a more accurate cost to cover the operations necessary to keep MT as one of the best wildlife conservation operations.
Often people gripe about this and that yet suddenly reel away from the cost involved to address the gripes...
Resident fees: 50% increase is more than fine and a block management stamp added for those of us interested in enhancing BM opportunities.

Last edited:
The FWP committee will hold a hearing on HB140 on the 27th of Jan.

Antlerradar

Funding Bill for MT FW&Ps (HB140) hearing will be in Room 152 at 3 p.m tomorrow the 27th..

follow bill at this URL:

http://laws.leg.mt.gov/legprd/LAW0203W$BSRV.ActionQuery?P_SESS=20151&P_BLTP_BILL_TYP_CD=HB&P_BILL_NO=140&P_BILL_DFT_NO=&P_CHPT_NO=&Z_ACTION=Find&P_ENTY_ID_SEQ2=12613&P_SBJT_SBJ_CD=&P_ENTY_ID_SEQ=

Last edited:
What ever happened to the block management stamp bill?

Block Mgmt Stamp bill (HB268) hearing will be Jan 29 at 3 pm room 152.

Follow bill at:

http://laws.leg.mt.gov/legprd/LAW0203W$BSRV.ActionQuery?P_SESS=20151&P_BLTP_BILL_TYP_CD=HB&P_BILL_NO=268&P_BILL_DFT_NO=&P_CHPT_NO=&Z_ACTION=Find&P_ENTY_ID_SEQ2=12613&P_SBJT_SBJ_CD=&P_ENTY_ID_SEQ=

Well I just paid $1,025 for the big game combo and elk permit and bonus point . Ouch

I think the cost increase is a huge advantage for the serious elk hunters. Didn't the big game combo used to take a point to draw? Now you can get it every year. So what it cost you a couple hundred bucks more. You have all year to save for it. Make all your meals at home, drive vehicles that are paid for. What's you weekly booze allowance? $30? That's $1560 a year, enough for tags and fuel out there....Point I'm trying to make is the guys who really want to hunt elk every year will go.

I think the cost increase is a huge advantage for the serious elk hunters. Didn't the big game combo used to take a point to draw? Now you can get it every year. So what it cost you a couple hundred bucks more. You have all year to save for it. Make all your meals at home, drive vehicles that are paid for. What's you weekly booze allowance? $30? That's $1560 a year, enough for tags and fuel out there....Point I'm trying to make is the guys who really want to hunt elk every year will go.

Good point and very true - the serious elk or deer hunter will make it happen . Stay in tents instead of hotels , sleep in your vehicle on the drive if need be , bring/make your own food . If you like beer/drinks , fine bring a few for celebration but don't make it a party , go hunting . Enjoy the outdoors .

I've written many pieces about the need for a resident fee increase. I am sure the bill will have some changes from its draft form and it will be used for some political games.

They know my opinion that it should go further. It should have a CPI adjustment. It could do more to simplify the plethora of licenses we have. It could change our deadline dates and drawing dates to allow us to compete with WY and AZ for the earliest NR elk hunting customers. It could have a base license that all applicants must purchase in order to apply, the same as NV, UT, NM, ID, OR, AZ, then have your tags on top of that.

It could .............

And I know it won't have all of those things, but it is a start toward residents funding more and paying something closer to the value of the amazing hunting experience we have in Montana. Since it is a start, I'm for it.

Back