MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Wool Outer Layer

81hntn

I'm planning on heading to Wyoming for a rifle elk hunt this fall. I have several pp's and am confident in drawing my general tag. That being said, I'm a hardcore whitetail hunter from Illinois and this will be my first later season western hunt. I'm not new to wool but my recent research has led me to really fall in love with it. My question:

I'm planning on a wool base layer. Is it wise to have a wool outer layer or is this a waste of big money? I've read that even the new wools don't stand up to pack straps. I figure this is the best pool of guys/gals to ask! Thanks for the 2 cents. I have no problem investing in a good product but I know that money could be spent elsewhere.

Most outer layers today are synthetics. I have wool base layers, but softshell outer layers, with lightweight packable rain gear if it gets really wet.

Pretty tough to beat this approach IMO. Wool base layers a lightweight, retain most insulation abilities when wet, and don't stink. Synthetic outer layers breath well, and a very water resistant to handle heavy dew or light rains, are likely to not be as susceptible to burrs or other pokey plants.

I wear Smart Wool merino wool base layers (tops and bottoms) and Big Bills (Codet) wool pants. My top layers consist of a second layer wool sweater (my favorite is a Swedish military sweater) under a Gore-Tex synthetic shell top. This combination keeps me warm and dry in the coldest, and most wet conditions and I can shed upper layers when it gets warm. I've used this combo several times in CO's 2nd rifle season elk hunts and elsewhere. It just works well for me.

Merino wool is awesome as a base layer. You can also find some synthetic wool blends that are nice too. I think they're fine with packs. I hunt and ski in them and am always wearing a pack and haven't had any issues. I don't think it really matters what brand you get as they're all essentially the same, just find one that fits. I've hunted NW Wyoming the past three years with wool base layers and a wool coat all season and have been totally comfy. I say go for it! Doesn't stink after many days afield too!

I had a wool coat, used it for a long time, but now I prefer a synthetic. The synthetic is better for rain protection. I still use wool for under layers.

I'll hunt at times in my old Woolrich coat,did this year.
Merino baselayers,wool shirt/sweater mid/layers ,under synthetics works awesome.
Cabellas,Browning and Columbia make some nice wool/blend stuff I wouldn't mind having.....

Last edited:
I wear wool base layers all the time. If it's really cold I'll wear a wool pants.

Under most conditions wool base layers with an insulation layer of some sort and a synthetic shell is the lightest way to go and will keep you dry. Wool is great IMO but just a little heavier especially if it's wet. On the good side, excellent wool from head to toe can be had at a reasonable price and lasts for a looooong time.
So many options nowadays that you can't really go wrong.

I would worry about sweating out with a wool coat. They are heavy enough that if it were warm you would be carrying a large item that would not pack down well. If it doesn't have ptizips I can't consider an item as an out layer.

I hunted November and December up in the Sierra's this year with these

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/14957?feat=maine guide-SR0&page=maine-guide-zip-front-jac-shirt-windstopper

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/47348?feat=maine guide-SR0&page=men-s-maine-guide-6-pocket-wool-pants-with-windstopper

Merino base and t-shirt up top and a merino base on the bottom and was perfect. Wore the pant and jacket every day I was out. Sitting still glassing and hiking back in working up a sweat, any situation I was in my core temp was perfect. After the abuse I put them through this season they showed zero wear, only thing I did was have them dry cleaned at the very end to get the dirt off they didn't stink at all.

Most outer layers today are synthetics. I have wool base layers, but softshell outer layers, with lightweight packable rain gear if it gets really wet.

Pretty tough to beat this approach IMO. Wool base layers a lightweight, retain most insulation abilities when wet, and don't stink. Synthetic outer layers breath well, and a very water resistant to handle heavy dew or light rains, are likely to not be as susceptible to burrs or other pokey plants.

This.

Wool outer layers can be pretty heavy, but I have a pair of Filson Mackinaw bibs that I wear if it's getting near 0°.

You guys seem to be saying exactly what I've found. Just curious if the wool base layers really do help keep you cool when it's hot? I read an article where a guy said he mowed in his wool base layer.....???? Not sure if I'm buying that one. I think he might've been a salesman!😃😃😃

You guys seem to be saying exactly what I've found. Just curious if the wool base layers really do help keep you cool when it's hot? I read an article where a guy said he mowed in his wool base layer.....???? Not sure if I'm buying that one. I think he might've been a salesman!😃😃😃

A true base layer (195 weight or less) can be worn in very hot temperatures. it'll breath and dry very quickly, and defiantly won't stink.

It was north of 100 this day, I can't say it was comfortable, but my shirt didn't overheat me.

People have a hard time believing that wool can keep you cool. Just like most things if there's less material there will be less insulation. The good wool that is used comes from sheep in areas of New Zealand that are kind of like the Colorado Rockies. Potentially very cold in the winter and very warm in the summer. The wool on the sheep has to be Able to insulate and breathe extremely well!

Dink wouldn't have prevailed in the CSEH 2014 if you had entered that picture J.R.

A true base layer (195 weight or less) can be worn in very hot temperatures. it'll breath and dry very quickly, and defiantly won't stink.

It was north of 100 this day, I can't say it was comfortable, but my shirt didn't overheat me.

Is that purple thing a shout out to Tupac?

J.R.'s first post is spot on. Not sure about the purple bandana though, buddy! I hunt in merino in everything from 100+ degree weather (oryx in the summer) to well below freezing (late elk), but go with a synthetic outer layer or puffy jacket in subzero temps. One of my favorite late season elk stalking jackets for many years was a Filson wool jacket. Quiet, warm and dry even in heavy snow. Too bad I let the moths get it...

I'll second the LL Bean woollies. They are the perfect weight for October in North Idaho, and are extremely wel built. A little thinner than some other brands, which is OK as they are not too warm that way. I've tried a few of the synthetic trousers, but they are all way too noisy for the kind of brush I hunt in. With wool or sythetic long johns underneath they are good for cold temps. Regular skivy drawers in warmer temps.

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/35307?feat=69285-pprrright

I just wear a Pendleton wool shirt for a top layer, but keep a heavier wool jacket (Columbia) in my pack in case it gets cold.

Don't hate on purple, it's been ingrained in my life from the beginning. (not to hijack)

This is Mom Young racing "purple jeep"

purplejeep.jpg

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back