Summer Backpack Trip - Suggestions?

Trail head shuttles are easy to work out along the major trails. Lot of folks segment hike 'em on weekends.

I hadn't thought of that. That would work well if we could be dropped off away from our vehicle, then hike to it. I wouldn't want to have to be anywhere at any certain time for a pickup though..

We might end up putting all these ideas on paper and drawing one out of a hat. One trip looks just as great as the next :)

I'll second the Spanish Peaks in MT. If you do a big loop you'll be about right on mileage, and hard to beat in every other regard. The Winds are awesome, but you spend a lot of time getting into the best country because the "foothills" take forever to get through. Also the potential for extreme mosquitoes if you hit it wrong.
With some careful planning you can do the Teton Crest Trail without a permit, hitting the USFS for camp spots. I did it in a day last year and it lives up to it's reputation. Give it a google, truly amazing scenery that skirts right behind The Grand.

Being from Oregon I can't help but suggest the Pacific Crest Trail. Don't know of any of it that requires an altitude adjustment - the best hikes are probably in the 3 - 6,000 ft. range. The trail is crossed by major highways every so often and all you have to do is pick out a section you want to do. I'd suggest the Mt. Jefferson (Oregon), or Goat Rocks (Washington) sections for scenery.

You might look into Southern Utah (Canyonlands N. P.) or some other desert hike. It's pretty there too, and no griz.

Both the Great Burn and Bitterroot-Selway are at lower elevations, and no worries about G-bears. Amazing scenery and fishing in both.

The Teton Crest Trail is a must do at some point if you haven't done it. A lot of it is in Grand Teton NP but you can work it so you can camp a couple nights in wilderness so you can have fires and such. Wind river range is also awesome. Cirque of the towers or titcomb basin are awesome. Put in for a doe antelope tag for $50 and try to get one on your way back If you go in sept! Good luck deciding!

Lots of good suggestions on here. Some folks made some good points about the Bob - lots of horse use, etc... Still, it's pretty amazing back there. I'd recommend entering from the Front near Augusta and doing a loop from Benchmark up the West Fork of the Sun, along the Chinese Wall to either Rock Creek or Moose Creek and heading down to the North Fork Sun which has superb fishing. Top it off with a giant burger at the Buckhorn Bar in Augusta.

I'm not much on trails but the Rainbow Trail below the Sangre de Cristo Wilderness in Colorado has some good country on either side of it.

Here's some Selway pictures. This one is from Boulder Peak, the lake and canyon looking into Idaho. There a picture of Lake Turbid, and Lake of the Rocks.

Attachments

• Boulder peak, lake hike 004.jpg
    Boulder peak, lake hike 004.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 221
  • Boulder peak, lake hike 014.jpg
    Boulder peak, lake hike 014.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 223
  • Boulder peak, lake hike 010.jpg
    Boulder peak, lake hike 010.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 217
  • Boulder peak, lake hike 003.jpg
    Boulder peak, lake hike 003.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 214
Here's a trip in the Bob to "Our Lake, a falls close by, Haystack Pass, and then to the top of Rocky Mountain, the high point of the Bob. One picture shows Rock Ptarmigan in Montana

Attachments

• Rocky Mountain Trip 001.jpg
    Rocky Mountain Trip 001.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 220
  • Rocky Mountain Trip 019.jpg
    Rocky Mountain Trip 019.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 215
  • Rocky Mountain Trip 033.jpg
    Rocky Mountain Trip 033.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 215
  • Rocky Mountain Trip 042.jpg
    Rocky Mountain Trip 042.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 213
  • Rocky Mountain Trip 048.jpg
    Rocky Mountain Trip 048.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 225
  • Rocky Mountain Trip 045.jpg
    Rocky Mountain Trip 045.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 213
1st picture is off Crown Mountain looking at Haystack PK, 2nd is Crown Mountain, 3rd is off Crown looking towards the Scapegoat Wilderness.

Attachments

• P7030417.jpg
    P7030417.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 219
  • P7030414.jpg
    P7030414.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 218
  • P7030407.jpg
    P7030407.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 218
  • P7030416.jpg
    P7030416.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 214
MT - Sapphire / Pintler area between Philipsburg & Wisdom has some incredible country with some wilderness designated areas as well... No declared griz in the area though black bear are present.
Sapphires

Location: The Sapphire Range joins the Continental Divide just below the peaks of the Anaconda-Pintler Wilderness
Size: 98,000 acres
Description: The great divide forms the frozen backbone of a 350,000-acre wildlands complex that stretches from the Big Hole Valley to the pristine headwaters of Rock Creek. The Sapphires form the biological heartland of this diverse mountain ecosystem, a lush wildland that enriches the rocks and ice of the Pintler Range. More than 20 lovely lakes nestle in steep cirques just below the Sapphires' undulating crest. To the west, creeks feed the trout fisheries of the Bitterroot River. To the east, the Sapphires are the watershed from which Rock Creek, a blue-ribbon trout stream, springs.
http://wildmontana.org/discover-the-wild/montanas-public-lands/wilderness-study-areas/

These pictures where taken in the AP or Anaconda Pinter Wilderness.

1). Hope Lake
2). Warren PK
3). Star Falls
4).Ripple Lake
5). Hidden Lake
6). Trout about to get ate.
7). Burnt County in the AP

Attachments

• Copy of P1010261.jpg
    Copy of P1010261.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 217
  • clifford 003.jpg
    clifford 003.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 214
  • P8120422.jpg
    P8120422.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 219
  • P8130435.jpg
    P8130435.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 216
  • P8130434.jpg
    P8130434.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 227
  • P8110594.jpg
    P8110594.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 223
  • P8130438.jpg
    P8130438.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 217
Nice pics, SS. I was on top of Scapegoat Mountain a couple years back and had a griz sow with cub playing below me in a snowfield, maybe 200 yards from the summit.

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone.. It looks like we're gonna end up with 6 days in August(excluding drive time). I think we're headed back to the Bob :)

I'll have to keep this thread handy for future trip ideas..

Nice pics, SS. I was on top of Scapegoat Mountain a couple years back and had a griz sow with cub playing below me in a snowfield, maybe 200 yards from the summit.

I saw a sow and twins up on the plateau the last time I was there. What a magical place that is.

We decided on the Bob Marshall Wilderness, going out next week.

We're leaving July 11th, plan to arrive in the afternoon of the 12th, and stay in there until the 17th. We're going to the Chinese Wall, probably via the Benchmark Trailhead but not sure yet.

I've got my pack ready.. All of my gear (minus phone and camera) came in at 27 pounds. I'll also have my pistol and bear spray on my belt. My uncle has the tent and fuel for the stove, so I'll probably need to take some weight from him to even things out. I still think I'll end up coming in below 35 pounds or so.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Higbee
Back