Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Howa Alpine Mountain Rifle test drive

All of this is helpful commentary. Appreciate you guys giving your perspectives.

I just sent an email with your question. The lefties will be available for the 2016 model year, so about this time next year. Hope that helps.
Thanks for the update. I was hoping for a bit sooner, but I am glad to see them planning on offering something at least.

Is anyone else turned off by the hinged floor plates on these rifles? They feel extremely underbuilt. Open up the floor plate and extend it back all the way. The hinged end will bend with very little force. I realize you shouldn't "try" to over-extend it, but in the real world, things happen and rifles take a beating. I realize Howa is a sponsor of this forum and Fresh Tracks. And I'd hope they would appreciate any negative feedback we can give as well.

I really like everything else about these guns, I just wouldn't buy one with a hinged floor plate until they beef it up a bit.

Not that I'd buy either. Now, if they offered it in a .358 Winchester that would get me there.

X2 In a light short package like that! I'll stay away from the long range "hunting" bandwagon and at reasonable distances a heavier hole maker is a better choice. Could be why I still like my 45/70 for occasional walks in the woods.

243 win with a 1/8in twist barrel
223rem with a 1/8in twist barrel
6.5Creed with a 1/8in twist barrel

Advertise them....

And watch them FLY off the shelves....

I see an offer of both the 6.5and 7mm as just splitting the same pie into smaller pieces rather than making a bigger pie. I'd love to see the 338 Fed in the line up. That would open a whole new class of game to hunters, instead of just another option for the same class of game.

Are the 7-08 really a 1-12 twist? That is what I have found on the few specs on some of the retailers sites. Oh yea Hi I am new here.:)

I think that the Vortex scope is a good move. The Nikko Sterling that came on the .223 I got was not the best piece of glass.

Does this mean Rinella got in on the project too?

I'd be interested to hear any feedback from folks on optimum barrel length for the 7-08. I have one with a 20 inch barrel and it LOOKS short.

Recoil?

Big Fin,

I am new to this forum and really appreciate your review. Can you tell me what you think of the recoil?

Big Fin,

I am new to this forum and really appreciate your review. Can you tell me what you think of the recoil?

Not really noticeable. The stock design and the recoil pad seem to have mitigated what you would expect as increased recoil due to reduced weight.

Recoil

Thanks so much! I was wondering if you know if it is pillar bedded also? Have your groups tightened up even further? I have one on hold at SW and I think I will pull the trigger tomorrow on it. Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions!

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HaileyB
Back