Maine black bears

VAspeedgoat

I have a few questions on hunting black bears in Maine. First does any of you have any experience with black bears in Maine? The second one is, do you think it is possible to hunt spot and stalk over clear cuts in the fall?

I have hunted the big woods for deer and would love to get back there for bear. The season starts very early in the fall but I don't really want to hunt a bait site. Nothing against it, I just don't like stand hunting when there are thousands of acres to hunt.

Also, last time I was there, they were doing more strip cutting than clear cutting, is that still the trend?

I've hunted bear here many years, getting lucky a few times. All of my hunts have been over bait. I have no experience spot and stalking bears here, so I can't comment on that. I've never tried it because I think it would have a low chance for success, honestly. Not saying it can't be done but I wouldn't be picky if you went that route. The woods her are so thick you'd have to be less than 100 yards to see anything, and you wouldn't be quiet getting that close with all the brush and leaves around (if you've hunted the big woods I'm sure you experienced this). I'm in the woods quite often and rarely see them at all, even when there is sign everywhere. Most of the bears I have seen that time of year (not on bait) are in wheat/barley fields and some people have success doing that. It's easy to see if they've been around in those areas too, since all the crop will be knocked down.

Through the years I've seen very few in clear cuts here. I'm in the far north, so maybe this isn't the case in other areas of the state. Up here there tends to be plenty of forage around, and this past year was pretty slow on bait sites for that reason. I'd imagine if you found the current food source you'd increase your chances but stalking a bear would still be difficult to pull off.

As for strip cuts vs clear cuts, it depends on the area. Most cuttings become clear cuts, but there are a few areas that only have the strip cuts. I don't know how they decide on which, I haven't noticed a trend but I'd think you'd be able to find either without too much difficulty.

One thing to note, our baiting season opens earlier than the 'general' season, so you wouldn't be able to hunt those first couple of weeks (I forget the exact amount of time difference between the 2 seasons).

Not saying it can't be done, but there's a reason >90% of our bears are harvested over bait, trapping, or with dogs! It would be one hell of an accomplishment though!

Great stuff, thanks for the info. I've hunted around kokadjo near moosehead lake. I have always wanted to hunt the alagash or over near jackman. Anyone that has never been in the bigwoods is missing out. Never had snow to track with when I was there. In fact it was almost too hot, so if we got snow, it was gone by noon. Its hard to pretend to be larry benoit on leaves!

I've hunted bear here many years, getting lucky a few times. All of my hunts have been over bait. I have no experience spot and stalking bears here, so I can't comment on that. I've never tried it because I think it would have a low chance for success, honestly. Not saying it can't be done but I wouldn't be picky if you went that route. The woods her are so thick you'd have to be less than 100 yards to see anything, and you wouldn't be quiet getting that close with all the brush and leaves around (if you've hunted the big woods I'm sure you experienced this). I'm in the woods quite often and rarely see them at all, even when there is sign everywhere. Most of the bears I have seen that time of year (not on bait) are in wheat/barley fields and some people have success doing that. It's easy to see if they've been around in those areas too, since all the crop will be knocked down.

Through the years I've seen very few in clear cuts here. I'm in the far north, so maybe this isn't the case in other areas of the state. Up here there tends to be plenty of forage around, and this past year was pretty slow on bait sites for that reason. I'd imagine if you found the current food source you'd increase your chances but stalking a bear would still be difficult to pull off.

As for strip cuts vs clear cuts, it depends on the area. Most cuttings become clear cuts, but there are a few areas that only have the strip cuts. I don't know how they decide on which, I haven't noticed a trend but I'd think you'd be able to find either without too much difficulty.

One thing to note, our baiting season opens earlier than the 'general' season, so you wouldn't be able to hunt those first couple of weeks (I forget the exact amount of time difference between the 2 seasons).

Not saying it can't be done, but there's a reason >90% of our bears are harvested over bait, trapping, or with dogs! It would be one hell of an accomplishment though!

This!

rjlefty3, where ya at in Northern Maine, my family is from the Sinclair area on 161.

If you go south out of Allagash about 40 miles find some all logging trails and sneak the trails. It may prove productive.

This!

rjlefty3, where ya at in Northern Maine, my family is from the Sinclair area on 161.

Van Buren. Just about an hour away from Sinclair. Favorite ice fishing spot is just around the corner on Long Lake. Small world!

Back