Bow setup for 2015 elk hunt

I shoot the Bowtech Carbon Overdrive. It's maxed and slings my 490 gr. Easton FMJ 100 gr. G5 strikers at 292fps. I practice out to 80 yards in hopes of being ready at 50 or less.

2008 model Bowtech General, 30" @ 72 pounds. Easton 340 arrow with Thunderhead 100's. I feel no need to update the setup.

I plan on using my Parker crossbow this next fall for deer and elk in Wyoming.I bought it a year ago after having heart bypass surgery and could not pull my bow anymore. Have not shot anything but targets so far but it should be a fun hunt. Will be shooting a 300 grain bolt and 100 grain Thunderhead. Extremely accurate out to 40 yards,that will be my max shot.
The only thing I plan on buying is a good range finder.

I use a 70lb bowtech my arrows are about 425 grains thats with a 125 S.T. head I practice longer and shoot them closer.

Ill give you my opinion on bows. You see guys on tv all the time hunting with a 65# recurve. They are shooting like half the speed that most compound bows shoot. Its not about speed or draw weight. Look at the kenetic energy. That's whats important. Granted, speed and weight are how you calculate KE. If your bow fits you, shoot it. Its way more important to have a bow that fits you in draw length and draw weight than to have the fastest bow on the market! The biggest advantage to having a fast bow is it helps on judging yardage, and gives the animals less time to react to the shot.

If you just want to upgrade, great. Youll LOVE some of the new bows. Personally Im not a Mathews fan. My setup is a 2015 Hoyt Nitrum turbo, blacked out. 70#, 28 1/2 draw. Axt Drive 1 pin sight, Axt Titanium Recon rest. I shoot Goldtip 7595 pro arrows, and either Rage broadheads or G5 montec, both are 100 grn. Hope this helps.

57# Longbow, 160gr VPA three blade, Douglas Fir shaft. Total arrow weight 620gr. I've killed a lot of critters with this setup.

Of course you will get a lot of, 'this is what i shot my elk with'.

Elk are much bigger and thicker critters than whitetails- of course but also their hide is much thicker with the possibility of dried mud which can dull some BH designs like the over the top mech or shorter fixed heads.

First and foremost is perfect arrow flight- tune your setup and make sure your BH's group with your FP's

Next would be a strong and efficient tapered design fixed cut on contact BH- these increase the penetration of any setup.

I prefer a 450-550gr arrow in a compound....though in my recurve I shoot 560gr. The trajectory loss going 75gr heavier is minimal at bowhunting distances and the additional effectiveness is undeniable.

I've seem over 50 elk killed with an arrow and shooting a heavier arrow is the way to go.

Going on my 1st ever elk hunt this fall. Drew late archery bull. Will be tough. Just started archery 3 months ago. Havent hunted in 20 years! Shooting my '14 PSE Freak SP. Haven't bought broadheads yet. Currently shoots a 446 grain 32" arrow @306 fps @ 70#. 32.5" draw sure helps. Practicing out to 60yds(max for my back yard). I'm very excited.

I shoot a hoyt carbon element at 70 lbs at 28.5" draw with full metal jackets and fixed blade one piece broad heads like the G5s at 100 grain. I have shot everything from buffalo to eland and down to bushbuck with it. The full metal jackets have only broke once and that was on my sable at 18 yards. I have watched one Elk run off with my arrow and never recovered him but otherwise everything seems to die that those Eastons touch.

Prime Alloy 70 lbs.. 425 g CX Maxima Hunter with QAD Exodus brosdhead..

I shoot at longer distances than I plan on shooting game at because it makes the closer shots easier. If your max your hunting at is 40 shoot at 50. You may not group well at 50 but your groups will get better when you shoot at 40 and such

Back