700 Mountain Rifle

I've owned three 700 MR rifles in 280. It is a great round. I sold one of those rifles to a guy I work with who never ceases to remind me of what a screwup I made when I sold it to him. He's taken Elk every other year since he bought that rifle. I would say the reason that it didn't catch on is that it is not sufficiently different from the 270 or the 30-06. The three cartiridges overlap in bullet weight and performance. Teh 270 was advocated for years in Gun and Ammo and Shooting Times and the venerable -06 cartridge came back from WWI and was a favorite of all of the "dough boys". It's legacy is eternal.

I have a 700 Mtn DBM 7-08 walnut/blue, definitely a sweetheart. Not a 'clip' guy at heart but I have not found a 7/08 to swap so I'll keep her til I do. Easy carry, great shooter, I have never had any issue with it but I am somewhat "sleeve-length challenged" so it doesn't feel "whippy" to me.

I love my 700 mountain in 30-06. The laminated stock is an eye-catcher. I bought a camo synthetic stock w rubber inlets because I was always worried @ scratching that beautiful stock. I had a gunsmith fit the stock. It needed alittle tweaking. Its a great rifle out to normal hunting ranges. Not designed to be a long range sniper. Ive taken game out to 400 yds w it. Never had to shoot farther than that yet. The shorter barrel will shoot standard velocity rounds better than mag charges. My gun guy spend a day w it on the range & my 700 mountain likes Hornady Interbond 165's. I cant remember off-hand how many grains of Hornady powder.
Personally, why shoot a .280 over a 30-06 ? There's no advantage & you can play w a 30-06 a lot more.

Hunted for many years with a .257 Rob./700 Classic. It was a great rifle except it made a bloody mess of deer when hit anywhere near the shoulder. When it came time to pick out something with a little less zing and great down-range performance there was no other choice but the .280 for me. Its my go-to rifle - 700 action, Douglas Premium bbl., Rimrock composite stock. Win. brass, 57 gr. H4831, 150 gr. NP for all deer/elk hunting.

I've got the Remington 700 Mountain rifle in 30-06 with the walnut stock. I've got a Leupold Vari X II 3X9 on it. The trigger was a little sloppy so I had it worked on. I love carrying it, It's a great little gun, not the best shooter but good enough. Mine has the detachable box magazine which I really like. I give it a thumbs up. That being said I decided on a my 300 Weatherby for this years hunt on the Henry Mt. You never know when a little longer range or knock down power is needed!!

jd

I had one in a .280 Remington and loved that rifle! I just really wanted a .280 Remington in a Model 70. I did not want the 22" barrel on the Featherweight so I am having a gunsmith build me one on a Model 70 action!! It will have a 24" standard contour barrel, and it's actually going to be a .280 Ackely Improved! I cannot wait.

The mountain rifle is one of the better looking rifles that Remington came out with in my opinion. The classic was another one to drool over.

280 rem never caught on ....WOW
One of the most popular calibers around the people I hunt with...not only in wis deer camp but especially elk camp in ID. Personally shot a 6x6 at 420yds with 140 gn accubond in 2013 season.
2 shots ...ran 75yds,, flop. dead
Yes this an old post but ,,,just saying

I have a .280 in Model 700 BDL SSDM. It's got a 24" barrel and is a bit heavier than the Mountain Rifle, but still light and easy to carry. I've shot a bear, a bunch of deer, and a variety of African game with the .280 with good results. I made the mistake of carrying my heavier .300 Win Mag on a backpack elk hunt this fall, but I'll stick with the .280 next time.

The first 2 shots ever at 100 yds out of my rifle were touching each other, so the rifle can shoot better than I can. I've had good groups with 140gr Nosler BT and 150gr Partitions.

It's true the .280 isn't the commercial success of the .270 or .30-'06, but it's a fine caliber. I just checked and the .280 in SS Mountain Rifle is available on Cheaper Than Dirt and Gallery of Guns.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back