Big Fin and Meateater

Big Fin

Administrator
Staff member
Some of you know that Steven Rinella and I were supposed to film a joint episode last fall, but due to his bout with Lyme's disease, it didn't work out. I have a lot of respect for Steve and his message. I really hope we can reschedule that hunt and get it back on the "white board."

Recently, Steve's Meateater crew interviewed me as to some of my media consumption habits. Here is what Fin reads, when he has time.

http://themeateater.com/2014/randy-newberg-talks-media-consumption-habits/

I really enjoy reading Steve's writings and watching his show. His production group, Zero Point Zero, is excellent. We are currently brainstorming ways that we might be able to do some joint projects. Seems our names and our shows often get mentioned in the same sentence, so it would be good for both of us if opportunity provided a few ways to work together.

If you go to the link, hopefully you will grab one or two of the titles for some camp reading. And if you look at the list of people previously interviewed, you will see another Hunt Talker on the list, Cody Lujan,

Thanks to Steve and his crew at Meateater. They are providing a great message that gives mainstream media a different image of the hunting world.

I'm sure you and Steve will get together to hunt. It will be a fun one to watch.

I think a show with you and Steve together would be great. I really enjoy not only Fresh Tracks but Meat Eater as well. Those are pretty much he only two hunting shows I watch anymore. Steves book is a fantastic read also.

The reason you two are often mentioned together, is because you both have the two finest shows out there.

More hunting shows need to emphasize why we are able to hunt. You both do an excellent job of this, while still providing enough boot leather,sweat, and when things go as planned - blood. I've enjoyed Rinella's "Theodore Roosevelt Conservation Partnership Conservation Field Notes".

If you film it they will come...or at least watch it from their couches.

..... I've enjoyed Rinella's "Theodore Roosevelt Conservation Partnership Conservation Field Notes".

If you film it they will come...or at least watch it from their couches.

Thanks. I've enjoyed those "Field Notes" pieces, also.

Expect to see some public land advocacy pieces in Season Two of Fresh Tracks. The entire future of public lands is at a critical juncture. I feel it is important to take 15-20 seconds of every episode and give a little history to how it came to be that we can hunt (and in our case film hunts) the amazing landscapes we are at in that episode.

Until people come to understand what was done to provide this amazing opportunity, it seems they have less connection to what is really at stake. The wild lands and the wildlife cannot advocate for themselves in this public land discussion, so those with platforms should be compelled to do so. Or at least, I am compelled to do so.

I am disappointed that outdoor TV shows put so little attention on these access and public land issues that are so critical to the future of hunting. Given I am blessed to have a popular platform, I can provide some voice to the topic and let the other shows continue using vignettes to pimp more sponsor-funded product messages.

Expect to see these short history and advocacy messages, come the new season episodes in July.

I've read Steve's books and also really enjoyed them. Sand County Almanac has been on my "to read" list for quite some time.....not sure why I haven't got around to reading it, but the time has come.....just ordered it! Thanks for all you do Big Fin!

Two of the best in the biz.

Steve and his crew bust their ass getting Meateater produced. What you see on his show is what you get when you meet him. Same with Fin.

Both share a level of intellect beyond most and both deliver the message in a way that many can appreciate and understand. Great advocates for sportsman.

Hope you can connect for a show this year.

Great interview Randy.

Some people need to take this to heart.

"Since I own a large hunting website, HuntTalk.com, that occupies a large portion of my time. In the hunting world, I am looking for places where people can think and have discussion, without destroying those who have dissenting opinions."

Freaking lymes is going to be a pandemic. Deer tick population is rising big time. I've had it twice and my brothers hunting buddy is really fighting it bad. Permythrin is your friend.

Freaking lymes is going to be a pandemic. Deer tick population is rising big time. I've had it twice and my brothers hunting buddy is really fighting it bad. Permythrin is your friend

This! Shmalts how long did it take you to get feeling better?

There are to many people on TV who come across as not genuine and are just doing it for the money or fame. Steven Rinella and Randy Newburg seem to do it for the right reasons, they truly love the whole process of planning a hunt executing a hunt and sharing it with others! Nearly every week you see Rinella hunting with an inexperienced hunter or his family giving them as much if not more camera time than himself! There are not many other hosts that do that.

I really wanted to respond to the lymes disease info, but felt bad for stealing the thread so here it is... Lymes disease is often mis diagnosed. I have seen several maps of diagnosed lymes disease cases here in Iowa and the cases are disproportionate. Areas around large hospitals always have more cases of lymes disease not because of ticks however the accessibility to the hospitals and good doctors. If you spend time outside in tick country and have symptoms remotely close to lymes you should let your doctors know, even if you do not believe you have been bitten by a tick.

I would love to see a collaboration of my two favorite shows coming together. The genuine passion and character of Steve and Randy both shine through . I have never met either one of these gentleman but I have been behind the scenes with many politicians, presidents foreign dignitaries and heads of state and have developed a good sense of the kinds of people are the same in front of as well as behind the camera. Keep up the good work Randy!

Back