Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Kodiak vs. POW...which one?

Rhino Hunter

Me and some buddies are trying to assemble a trip to AK in the fall of 2015 for Sitka Blacktail deer. We've been leaning toward Kodiak Island, but really haven't done our due diligence in considering POW.

If anybody has some input they wouldn't mind sharing on the pros and cons of each I would greatly appreciate it!

Thanx in advance!

Great site!!!

I've never hunted POW, but I have been to kodiak for blacktail. It was awesome! Deer were everywhere, no problem killing mature bucks.

The deer population on parts of Kodiak took it in the shorts in the winter of 2011-12. Numbers are still rebuilding in areas, I hear other areas weren't as impacted. Coming off our second mild winter in a row so it may be good in another year or two. Doesn't seem like deer numbers on POW fluctuate as much with winter conditions as they do on Kodiak.

^^^^^this^^^^^^. Kodiak was on my 2013 planner, but we've pushed that trip off until at least fall 2015, maybe even '16. Hoping for next winter to be another mild one, and we should in the chips.

I hunted Kodiak Island in 2007 near Larsen Bay transported by Ninilchik Charters. I have never seen so many rut crazed bucks in my life. The hunting was unreal. Also seen three bears and two were giants. The smaller of the three almost got two of our bucks at the shore. Luckily our boat captain made it ashore in time for us to toss the bucks in the skiff and head back to the Sundy.

Here's my best buck from the trip and I would certianly do this trip over again. IMO bring every bit of meat back home with you. By far the best venison there is.

As far as POW goes. I have never hunted there but I will be this fall in mid September. Although I am focused on bear there is a few in our group that are strictly hunting deer. We will be hunting near Thorne Bay. Be glad to share our adventure with you. Best of luck and good huntin'

big28hunter-

What were your thoughts on Ninilchik Charters? The reason I ask is that I am wanting to go to Kodiak next fall with some friends and hunt blacktails. DId you move around or stay in a general area? What were your impressions of the boat and crew?

I would hunt with Allen & crew every year if I could. If you do your in for some incredible table fare as well. Allen's seafood chowder and steak & morel mushrooms were two of the best meals I have had on any hunt. Ninilchik Charters operates two boats. One is a six man(Sundy) and one a four man(Arctic Endeavor). We stayed on the Sundy. We didn't have to move to much do to the fact there were deer everywhere. They were high though and took some effort to get out. We hunted mid November and hit the rut in full swing.

You are looking at two completely different experiences with Kodiak and POW. The only thing the same is the deer. Sitka's are native on POW, and grow rather big there. Big ones on Kodiak too though. But, POW is a rainforest and weather can suck beyond belief. POW gets a lot of pressure too.

Personally, I'd go to Kodiak if I was given the choice. Lots of bucks on Kodiak around the beach region later in the season. POW can be some tough hunting.

We're leaning towards Kodiak Island.

Does anybody have suggestions for big game transporters to Kodiak (I'm aware of Ninilchik and Homer already).

Mid-November interferes with our MI whitetail season. What other time of year might be good? We could go Aug - Oct.

Thanx for all of your help!!!

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back