7MM MAG. Ammo for Long Distance Big Game

Hey all,

I have been doing some looking around and am trying to determine what the best ammo would be for 7MM MAG mid/long range shooting for big game such as Elk, Mule Deer, Etc...

I"m going to be doing some experimenting on the range with, Nosler trophy grade, HSM, Double TAP long range hunter, and possibly some Hornady.

Just wondering if anyone has any pros or cons to bullet weight or anything else they would recommend, even other brands?

Thanks

If I was going to start long range shooting at game, I would reload plain and simple. Improved performance and no risk of a change in recipe or a specific load no longer being offered.

Since you asked about factory ammo, I think you are on the right track about buying several different brands and find the one your gun likes. I can't vouch for one brand over the other but Nosler usually makes a good product. Sometimes they sell blemished loads (off color cases mostly) at super discounts

If I was going to start long range shooting at game, I would reload plain and simple. Improved performance and no risk of a change in recipe or a specific load no longer being offered.

^ This

The amount of shooting that you'll need to do to be consistent at long range in hunting situations it will save you money in the long run. Buy things in bulk once you find a load you like. I have no less than 500 bullets of each gun I reload for and anywhere from 8-20lbs of powder per depending on my needs. Economics of scale when you buy components. I prefer to load my 7mmRemMag with 160 grain or bigger. I believe you can get the LR Accubonds in up to 175 grains.

So what made you decide you WANT or NEED to be a long range shooter? Being an archer I asume from your screen name, you'd think you already have the basics of getting close to your quarry.

Reloading is pretty key because you can build so many more options and find the powder charge that fits the dynamics of your barrel. Familiarize yourself with the concepts of Ballistic Coefficient and Sectional density. .250 Sectional density is the minimum most consider for an elk bullet. There are a lot of 7mm bullets with G1 Ballistic coefficients from .500-.650 that I would look at like Nosler Accubond LR, Hornady ELD-X, Berger VLD, Barnes LRX. This one seems stupid but make sure you have a range with distances beyond 100 or 300 yards which are commonly the cutoffs.

Thanks all for the input and much appreciate knowledge on the matter. Reloading is a great idea, I just don't have the equipment at this time to do so, maybe in the future.

I do love archery hunting and the excitement of being up close and personal with the animals, but I also think that it is very impressive to have the skill of being able to make long, clean, effective shots if and when the time is right.

I must be lucky because factory ammo has never failed me. Federal discontinued my 160 grn accubond in 7mm....colorado buck is now making it. Same performance

I did have a scare with with my 7mm 160 partions when federal stopped making them for a while but now they have started making them again

Hey all,

I have been doing some looking around and am trying to determine what the best ammo would be for 7MM MAG mid/long range shooting for big game such as Elk, Mule Deer, Etc...

I"m going to be doing some experimenting on the range with, Nosler trophy grade, HSM, Double TAP long range hunter, and possibly some Hornady.

Just wondering if anyone has any pros or cons to bullet weight or anything else they would recommend, even other brands?

Thanks

What do you consider to be mid/long range?

I'm not looking to shoot 1,000 yds or anything like that, but I would like to feel very comfortable at 400-450 goal.

Mtmuley,
Thanks for that info,I was hoping a higher end factory load would be sufficient.
Stretch it any further, and you may want to look into handloading. It's a lot easier to control the variables needed in LR loads when you have control. Pretty tough to buy factory stuff for LR and have it perform year after year. With handloading, you can adjust if needed as the rifle tells you to. mtmuley

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Iceman1992
Back