Colorado drop camp recommendations

Magnum Sherpa

I am looking for recommendations for a drop camp outfitter for elk for 2017. I am a Colorado resident, but some friends will be coming out from Pennsylvania to hunt. I have done several elk hunts, including DIY backpack hunts. My friends are all experienced hunters, but have never hunted elk before. They are in their 40s, live at low elevation, and in my opinion not in the physical condition to be able to do a backpack hunt. That is the reason that I think a drop camp would be the best option for us.
I would be interested in any experience you may have had with outfitters, both good and bad. One of the outfitters currently at the top of my list is Beaver Creek Outfitters near Craig.

I have done the outfitted hunt with Bearcat out of Craig and been really happy they do have a drop camp. That I have not tried. I have hunted in the area of their drop camp and seen plenty of elk. They provide the tent and other big stuff, you provide food. They take you out on horse back and bring you back in and retrieve the elk.

Like I said I've never done the drop camp with them but have had good experiences on the outfitted hunt.

http://www.coloradoelkhunts.net/

In that you're not planning to do this till 2017, I'd contact the outfitters of interest, and ask for their client reference list. With enough feedback, you should be able to get a feel on how previous hunts went, in the good, the bad, and the ugly.
Some outfitters don't put much effort and care into their drop camps, and it shows. Others, may give good service and a good value. Personally, I wouldn't do a drop camp if I wasn't able to make my own luck via my own efforts. Many of them are used from archery season right on through the balance of rifle seasons, and they get pounded. I suppose you could say the same about a guided hunt location, but at least the outfitter is there to help you find the Elk.

My dad and I hunted with Beaver Creek Outfitters years ago. (1999) The outfit has since changed hands, but I'm sure they are still using the same camps. Their hunts are in unit 12 south of Craig. They access their camps through Indian Run SWA. The main camp is on Burro mtn. and at the time their drop camps were in the Pagota basin. At that time all elk tags for that area were over the counter, even the first season. Its a beautiful area that holds a ton of elk, but was super crowded back then. I don't know if I've seen a prettier piece of elk country since. Hopefully somebody can give you more recent info as far as pressure in that area.

Is this a rifle hunt? If so I would look at a unit that they can draw with 1 point over an OTC since you have a year to get a point. What about 66 2nd rifle? I did a drop camp with Mineral Mountain in 66 a few years ago and it was a good hunt. Did what they said they would do.

Beaver Creek outfitters did a pack in service for me back in 1990.They had a great hunt area.Or at least it was back then
If your a local, why don't you pick out an area and just have them do a pack in service for you.Plenty of outfitters will do that,and its a lot cheaper

Mixedbag,
Thanks for the info on Beaver Creek outfitters. You are right that a packer would be cheaper than a drop camp in the long run. However all of my current camping gear is ultralight stuff. So I would need to buy a large wall tent, a few cots, and a woodstove to decently equip a camp. I also have doubts about how quickly a packer would get meat out. Every packer I have ever spoken to said they could not guarantee availability to pack out meat if they were busy doing something else.

We just had them pack our light gear in just as if we backpacked in.If your friends have decent tents and sleeping bags your good and can eat better then mountain house since the horses are doing the work.The meat packing seems to be biggest problem,but in rifle, I would think your fine for 3-4 days with the cold temps if cut and hung

Is this a rifle hunt? If so I would look at a unit that they can draw with 1 point over an OTC since you have a year to get a point. What about 66 2nd rifle? I did a drop camp with Mineral Mountain in 66 a few years ago and it was a good hunt. Did what they said they would do.

Mineral Mtn is a good outfitter, I used John for pack services to get two elk out of the backcountry. Do you know if John and his wife are still running the business? He puts his drop camps further back in than his fully outfitted hunts.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back