Caribou Gear

I need to practice on Elk now!

devon deer

Went out at first light today, found a red stag with his 'ladies' as the rut is about to start, but damned if he didn't just stay on the horizon so i couldn't get a safe shot and then they just disappeared out of sight and into a wood, i didn't want to look for them in the wood as i know they will stay in my area now.
So on i went, i eventually found another Red Stag bedded down, a tricky shot through the tree's but eventually found a good angle and let go with one of my 30-06 loads i have put together for my Elk hunt, thump went the bullet, he rose up, walked 3 paces and fell down dead as a Do-Do. So all i need now is a bull elk in Montana to play ball!

BTW, blood is from exit wound.
Cheers
Richard

Good decision-making process regarding safety. Your diligence and patience paid off for you.
Nicely done!

Good luck on elk. Keep us posted on your travels to Montana.

Super! Good luck on the elk.

FWIW, I need to shoot a couple of stags, if just to earn my namesake...

Very nice! Good luck on the elk..
Thanks, i need all the luck i can get

Good decision-making process regarding safety. Your diligence and patience paid off for you.
Nicely done!

Good luck on elk. Keep us posted on your travels to Montana.
Thanks, safety is always my top priority, i always go by the rule i was taught, 'if there is doubt then there is no doubt, don't shoot'

Super! Good luck on the elk.

FWIW, I need to shoot a couple of stags, if just to earn my namesake...
Thanks, this one had 11 points, so you would need to change names!

Nicely Done! Great choice on the rifle as well!
It's a Browning, it was a little fussy over ammo but now it shoots sweet.

not bad size rack for a young animal,,any big ones come out of that area??
Yes there are, i found some big shed antlers last year, he is a big boy and i have seen him recently, nothing compared to your NZ beasts though!

I love stags in the roar, nice!!
I would like to hear your Elk in the rut.

Very nice. Looks like you should just stay over there now that you've got a full freezer...
True, but it's the adventure in Montana, nothing in the woods to eat you in the UK!
If i get an Elk i will post the head to you:D

Cheers

Richard

With shooting like that, pretty sure you don't need any more practice! You just need to get back to Montana in the elk woods. Thanks for the post(s)! Always makes me smile to see what you've been up to across the pond.

-Cade

Good looking stag, well done.

My mates in Cornwall said they heard their first roars last night.
That as you probably know is my neighboring county, and a coincidence as i heard my first roar this morning.
Things are starting to happen.
I had my x-hairs on another this morning, but something spooked the hinds and he followed them:mad:
Cheers
Richard

Took my buddy out for his first stag on Saturday, we got lucky, barely enough light to see the cross hairs it was about to jump from the field into the wood, i stopped it in it's tracks with a loud bark, it turned broadside and boom.

Cheers
Richard

Gotcha! Just busting your chops a bit. Congrats on a successful hunt. You keep posting these kinds of pictures and I'm gonna start shopping for flights... ;)

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back